Newbie at this speaker building! Please help! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2005, 05:57 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Newbie at this speaker building! Please help!

Hello everyone. Dont mind me please but im completeley new to this field . i want to make a pair of speakers for 2 channel listening for pure sound quality. as for the designing, i dont know where to start. driver selectin, i need help too. i want to cover everything so a 1"-2" silk dome tweeter or maybe ribbons, 1-2 4"-6" mid-range's, maybe 2 to 3 6"-8" woofers as i dont want a subwoofer because space is limited, so i want to cover the bass in the towers also. please help selecting the drivers and enclosure design. i will compromise the sub for 2 big and wide if possible towers. i just want to start here and go on. budget is around 450-500.
Old 20th June 2005, 11:59 AM   #2
Tomv is offline Tomv  Israel
diyAudio Member

Well, it all depends firstly on the cost your willing to pay, you should also consider room size, for a beginner I would suggest a 2way but I think 3way is better in covering the freq spectrum, if you do want a 3way I would suggest a Peerless 12 or 10 inch woofer(beacsue their price/performance ratio is excellent),for the mid I have to say Scan-Speak or Seas 4 to 5 inch and for the tweeter I'll probably go for Morel or Seas 1 inch , (You can also buy Scan-Speak as they are excellent but very expensive).
I would suggest you to start by picking a mid and then the other elements according to their parameters
Old 20th June 2005, 12:21 PM   #3
DirkD is offline DirkD  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Try this link. http://home1.stofanet.dk/troels.gravesen/ Lots of good projects and info!

D
Old 20th June 2005, 02:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

OK lets say that i want to spend $100-125 for the tweeters (pair), $150 for the midrange (pair), and rest on woofers. what would you guys recommend for something laid back, smooth sounding setup?
Old 20th June 2005, 04:25 PM   #5
Tomv is offline Tomv  Israel
diyAudio Member

I still think you should buy a peerless one, maybe an HDS series(Peerless) and I think you should spend more money on the mid and maybe a little more on the tweeter than you said you were
Old 20th June 2005, 05:36 PM   #6
Emprov is offline Emprov  United States
diyAudio Member

Also, Parts Express has a pretty good databass of all sorts of projects. I just built a pair of Wayne's Budget HT speakers and they sound great! Ok, I still have to replace some screws and cover them after a touch of routing but they still sound pretty darn incredible.
Old 20th June 2005, 05:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

this is what i have in mind...I want a 8" or 10" or maybe even 12" sub on the bottom powered by a sub plate amp. apart from that, i want 1 or 2 mid-range, 1 mid-bass (don't know if i need one since the woofer will be big on bottom), and a tweeter (really nice quality, maybe a silk or ribbon). would this work out fine or am i making a mistake somewhere?
Old 20th June 2005, 05:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

It sounds like you should back up a bit. You are asking about driver recommendations but do not seem to have any ideas about enclosure or crossover and so on. So, if you are indeed the complete neophyte that you describe, I would say back up and just either buy a kit or at least build one of the designs that are often mentioned here (and you can easily find by searching) that explains parts and construction in detail.
Old 20th June 2005, 05:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

any recommended designs online that are nice? i dont want alot of bomminess but i like bass and want some clean and smooth sound out of the speakers.
Old 20th June 2005, 06:04 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

People have mentioned partsexpress.com and speakerbuilder.net, they are good. Have a good look at http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/index.html and see if something strikes your fancy.

Hide this!Advertise here!