Controlling speaker signal with diode?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I have a set of dual 15 inch 450w RMS FOH loudspeakers equipped with 400w Compression horn drivers. The problem is, the 15 inch drivers and the horns have been designed to be amplified seperately so there is no passive crossover built in just 2 seperate binding post connectors for Hi and Low input. They work beatifully with this setup with an active crossover however Im about to upgrade the amps and go to Speakon Connectivity.

My problem is that when I install the Speakon inputs and wire to the two 15" drivers and the horn, it will also conduct current to the 2 other terminals and ruin that existing 2 way setup. I am wondering If it could be possible to use a diode in the existing wiring to keep the signal going 1 way? Cheers

Hi,
these speakers sound like they are designed for use with 2 amps to each speaker. Keep to this.
Changing to speakon does not affect the 2 amp requirement.
If you want to run 1 amp to each speaker you will need to design a 2 way passive crossover between amp and speaker. Don't.

If I'm not mistaken from your post:
You have 4 binding posts on the back - 1 pair for the horns 1 pair for the 15" - correct.

Wiring a speakon should be easy; they have 4 terminals for exactly this purpose. You can then use a 2 amp + crossover setup or you could make up an external passive crossover with LF & HF outputs wired to your speakon.

I would keep the crossover external though as this gives you the oppertunity to upgrade at a later stage.

my 2 bob's worth

res

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.