Innovative OB/TL design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's not too often I see a design and think that it's innovative but I just saw a speaker here (look for the Trapezoid) that got my interest.

I use an open baffle with TL bass myself but the TL subs are much larger. I wondered how they can get bass down to 25 Hz from a 12 inch (30 cm) diameter tube just 33 inches (85 cm) high? :xeye:

If this works then I'll be after some Sonotubes myself! ;)

Nuuk,

It doesn't say flat to 25hz, just down to 25hz. The TL using a 33"L by 12" dia pvc pipe seems like a single fold TL to me. With a 24"W x 20"D footprint I think it would be easy to go fully dipole with larger driver(s) or use a U baffle for the bass and exceed the performance they claim in a much nicer looking package and a smaller footprint.

With a 24"W x 20"D footprint I think it would be easy to go fully dipole with larger driver(s) or use a U baffle for the bass and exceed the performance they claim in a much nicer looking package and a smaller footprint.

Yes, I suppose if I want to be rid of my TL 'monsters' there are other solutions like the U baffle woofers or even a W baffle. I was just interested in the TL solution as it was more compact than mine.

I also thought it quite a large baffe if it only has to go down to 150 Hz! :att'n:

Nuuk said:

Yes, I suppose if I want to be rid of my TL 'monsters' there are other solutions like the U baffle woofers or even a W baffle. I was just interested in the TL solution as it was more compact than mine.

I also thought it quite a large baffe if it only has to go down to 150 Hz! :att'n:

It seems that the baffle's primary purpose is to hide the 12" diameter PVC pipe in the back. You could use the same drivers and fit a boxed TL in a much more compact form. I'd rather see the woofer on the front to break up the look of that wall of a baffle unless having it up firing serves some benefit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.