Need tips on OB construction and staining.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With my line array well underway, i'm faced with final construction and finishing. I'm using inexpensive pine ($10.50 per 1x8x6') pieces which I picked through to find the most attractive grain. What i'm having a hard time with as far as physical construction, is how to affix the wings to the front baffle. I'm going to make a pretty simple " ] " shaped baffle. Since i'm staining the wood, and going to radius the edges, I cant use screws. I also cant really use brackets because the midrange drivers are offset to one side of the baffle and there's not enough room except at the very top and bottom. Any ideas?

I've also never stained anything before. What is the basic procedure for pine? I know I need to pretreat the wood to avoid blotching of the stain. Do dark stains work well with pine? I'm wanting them to be pretty dark and shiney.

Thanks all.

I'm not an expert but from my gatherings, pine doesn't stain well if untreated (more so if its a dark stain). It will usually look blotchy. I also experienced this first hand with some maple, which is the other wood I've read doesn't take stain evenly.

I know there are sealers and such out there you might want to try. Someone else who is better with finishing might also want to extend/correct me.

dswiston said:
I'm not an expert but from my gatherings, pine doesn't stain well if untreated (more so if its a dark stain). It will usually look blotchy. I also experienced this first hand with some maple, which is the other wood I've read doesn't take stain evenly.

I know there are sealers and such out there you might want to try. Someone else who is better with finishing might also want to extend/correct me.

All quite true. You might want to consider using a coloured wax as it's easier to apply, or some form of antique oil finish. These tend to work better with soft woods than other methods in my experience (though I don't pretend to be an expert).

For the side baffles, I'd try attaching them to the sides of the front baffle, not the back, which should allow more scope for clamps. With a bit of judicious planing, it'll look fine -lots of people have done that (including me for a pair of Voigt pipes I was asked to build by a friend who didn't know any better).

If that won't do, try this: lay out a long piece of bubble-wrap to protect the drivers, and lay the front baffle down flat. Place the two side-pieces in position with a liberal quantity of glue, and lay another piece of scrap wood over the back, like a rear pannel. Then add a few heavy weights (some paint-tins etc) and leave overnight. Not ideal, but it works.

Best
Scott

If I condition the surface well enough, do you guys think I could stain it really dark with good results? Or am I stuck with a light to medium finish since it's pine?

Attachments

• baffle01.jpg
    baffle01.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 78
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.