DIY Portable Speakers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2005, 09:16 AM   #1
fury is offline fury  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Portable Speakers?

Hey...
I'm interested in creating some small portable speakers.
They will be run off a small tripath amp (2x25wrms @4ohms) through an ipod shuffle.

I understand obviously i'm going to have to compromise somewhere, and in this case it'll probably on lower end extension for portability.
At first I was thinking of just buying a set of cheap 4" car component speakers (tweeter, woofer, xover) but I figure I might's well as you guys what to do before I get anything.

I was now thinking a pair of 8 ohm 4" drivers, and a small 4ohm tweeter per side. Ultimately I'd like final impedence to be 4ohms as to get the most from the amp.
I was considering mounting these open baffle, just a small baffle with a stiff wire mesh around front and back to keep the drivers protected.

Couple of requirements I have...
All up the drivers can't cost more then about $50 AUD (+$20 if i feel it's worth it).
Also the drivers must be easily available in Australia...

Anywho, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 11th June 2005, 04:30 PM   #2
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't know if you can get them inexpensively where you are, but Aurasound has some nifty-looking 3" drivers with (relatively) huge excursion...

NS3-193-8A is the one I am thinking of, but the NS3-194-8E might be a perfect fit for you, size and price.

The only thing about these drivers is that they are a little deep, but not excessively so.
madisound
Old 12th June 2005, 12:30 AM   #3
AJinFLA is offline AJinFLA  United States
Banned

I am listening to these right now as I type. I would go with the best 4-6" car drivers you can find (used if possible) for your $. You may be suprised by how good they end up sounding OB. You could also hinge the side wings so that they fold over the drivers front to protect it when not in use. Then fold back when in use.

cheers,

AJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bdb4[1].jpg (87.7 KB, 1231 views)
Old 12th June 2005, 12:33 AM   #4
Banned

Btw,
those are JBL P422's. Very nice sounding drivers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 97fd[1].jpg (87.5 KB, 1100 views)
Old 12th June 2005, 06:23 AM   #5
fury is offline fury  Australia
diyAudio Member

I've been thinking, hinged walls that fold behind to protect the driver, and grill mesh over the front to protect the cone...
Those NS3-193-8A's look awesome, and have more xmax then any speaker < 6" i've used! but i'm worried that they're too inefficient and we'd end up pushing the amp too hard.

How do the NS3-194-8E sound?
They're slightly cheaper and would probably run 2 of them per side, if postage isn't too bad.
I can't seem to find any "decent" 4" speakers for ~$10 AUD each nearby, so a pair of car splits might be on the cards (although 6" or bigger == bigger baffle == less portable).

Cheers
Old 15th June 2005, 02:28 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I've been following your power thread on 41hz.com as well. I'd have a good look at the 2'' full range Aurasound. I just built an iPod speaker system with the Sonic Impact T-amp and a pair of the 2'' full range Aurasound's. I'm QUITE surprised at how well it sounds. It's as loud as I have any desire to play music. My wife loves it for it's compact size and portability. These little 2'' speakers can fit in a super small box. Sure your not going to hear much below 200hz, but it's portable, what should you expect? I highly recommend this setup for the iPod.

-Jim
Old 4th July 2005, 05:13 PM   #7
quiet is offline quiet  United States
diyAudio Member

i made a little something for my recent trip to jamaica -

The Rasta Boom Box

had great low end thatnks to 2 harmon 4" and the mids where ok
i used 2 oval compaq speakers - dont bash till you here -

powered with a cyber acustic 3 way amp - i liberated from some desktop speakers - so it runs via ac and with a home made battery pack

got it down to 50 hz via tone generator - befor it got crappy
from 10 feet its loud and has enough punch to listin to dub and hiphop

checkit out !!

RASTA BOOM BOX
Old 4th July 2005, 05:13 PM   #8
quiet is offline quiet  United States
diyAudio Member

oh yeah did i mention they are made out of cardboard

Old 4th July 2005, 05:19 PM   #9
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Rasta Boom Box.

I like the duck tape....you're not going to cross the borders with them arenít you?

/Hugo
Old 4th July 2005, 05:50 PM   #10
Banned

That is a very impressive use of the materials at hand. Did you watch MacGyver often ? Seriously, I like what you have done.
Now for even more portability, you could leave some of the sides folded (but still attached) and the back untaped together, carry a roll of duct tape with you , then unfold and assemble on site! Sweet. Myself and this gentleman are impressed. Just be careful not to put any acoustic "stuffing" in the box when returning from Jamaica...Click the image to open in full size.

Cheers,

AJ

Hide this!Advertise here!