What is the best internal wiring material?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
gary f said:
Well, I have a theory about "buying my peace of mind".

Sometimes, I install good quality components in my speakers or crossover, even if I'm not convinced that there will be better performance.
F

Bill Fitzpatrick said:

Not a bad idea.

Am curious. Do you take vitamins, shun McDonald's and have a healthy diet with multiple servings of fruits and vegetables daily, don't smoke and exercise at least twice a week?

I do all of the above, work out every day. Still a fat bastard.

In any event, I prefer wiring speakers using RG-8 with the shield tied to ground. It's marginally more expensive than zip, has lower series inductance, and it's essentially 12 gauge. What's not to like?

Francois.

Hi,
I,ve seen some expensive speakers with short lengths of individually insulated multistrand to connect terminals to crossover to speaker unit.
If using muti-insulated is that good why do they common all the strands at the terminals?
Would a multi-pole connector and multi-insulated going all the way back to the amp provide an avenue for further experimentation.
CAT5 into a 25way plug & socket into more CAT5 into speaker unit may be the way to go. Certainly cheap if unconventional.

AndrewT said:
Hi,
I,ve seen some expensive speakers with short lengths of individually insulated multistrand to connect terminals to crossover to speaker unit.
If using muti-insulated is that good why do they common all the strands at the terminals?
Would a multi-pole connector and multi-insulated going all the way back to the amp provide an avenue for further experimentation.
CAT5 into a 25way plug & socket into more CAT5 into speaker unit may be the way to go. Certainly cheap if unconventional.

Actually not a bad idea for DIY! :) We talked about 3 truncks for 8 Ohms and 6 truncks for 4 Ohms. This way you have them all separated untill the crossover. There would be quite a few connectors on the speaker though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.