help me refine this SQ design...please - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2005, 12:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NC
Default help me refine this SQ design...please

basically after all my listening tests I've completely dropped my line array design...

I'm interested in doing the posted picture....

it's a 3-way setup with ESL's as a midrange and tweeter.... the wide panel is for up to 4-6khz whatever sounds better on the active xover and the 1" wide panel is for tweeter duty (so there won't be a roll off until way way up in the bandwith... the stator's are curved

I'm very very interested in this as it's pretty much just an improved design over a ML E2 statement...

in the dipole bass tower will have 5 15" lambdas playing to 300 hz...



I like this design... and I know it can sound awesome...

also if someone could tell me what it would take to clone the wilson alexandria X-2s (like speaker wise and box design) that's also a possibility...
Attached Images
File Type: gif esl design 1.gif (9.7 KB, 202 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2005, 02:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NC
Too hard of a question to answer??
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2005, 03:54 AM   #3
mike.e is offline mike.e  New Zealand
diyAudio Member
 
mike.e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NZ
Send a message via ICQ to mike.e Send a message via MSN to mike.e
Hi
Audiophilenoob

What you say isnt very clear,state which transducers,with links for more info as many many not know them well.

If you want to clone the wilson,give a link as i dont have it handy
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2005, 01:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally posted by mike.e
Hi
Audiophilenoob

What you say isnt very clear,state which transducers,with links for more info as many many not know them well.

If you want to clone the wilson,give a link as i dont have it handy
what transducers?

they are Electrostatics... 2 panels in that one tower...

here's the link to the alexandria:
http://www.wilsonaudio.com/products/Alex/index.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2005, 02:26 AM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NC
does it look good?

anything objectionable?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2005, 10:19 PM   #6
float is offline float  England
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Coventry,England
Wouldn't four woofers be better from a series/parallel connection perspective?

Regarding the x2 (and all these mega speakers), one of the design criteria is huge output levels- circa 120db in very large rooms. If you don't need this (and most don't) then why not design a scaled down full-ranger. A separate sub could be added if needed and placed to give most even bass, or eq'd to near perfection.

I reckon you could build something good for 20-20000hz at 110db for a quarter of the mega versions cost, and being much smaller it could have lower cabinet colouration and better imaging to boot.

How big is your mansion's listening room anyway?
__________________
I w isH i cuold typpe bettr
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2005, 03:47 AM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally posted by float
Wouldn't four woofers be better from a series/parallel connection perspective?

Regarding the x2 (and all these mega speakers), one of the design criteria is huge output levels- circa 120db in very large rooms. If you don't need this (and most don't) then why not design a scaled down full-ranger. A separate sub could be added if needed and placed to give most even bass, or eq'd to near perfection.

I reckon you could build something good for 20-20000hz at 110db for a quarter of the mega versions cost, and being much smaller it could have lower cabinet colouration and better imaging to boot.

How big is your mansion's listening room anyway?
close to 26x15 feet

I think the 5 speakers are sexier but 4 is cool...

I'm fairly interested in a dual ESL design like that... it can reach massive output levels so I was going to use a very nice midbass solution
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2005, 04:05 AM   #8
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor
 
Variac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: San Francisco, USA
I never equated electrostatic with massive output levels.
Why do they have massive output levels?
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2005, 02:24 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally posted by Variac
I never equated electrostatic with massive output levels.
Why do they have massive output levels?

I'm just going by what I heard.... it was far more than what I need.... and all the drivers ML chose for their midbass section (those 10s and 12s) got destroyed by the ESL's output
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Collated Design Criteria/dimensions for Ariel ML-TL Design talsius Full Range 1 13th October 2011 05:28 AM
Wilson Watt Puppy Clone Design - Design Review Please soundengine355 Multi-Way 8 15th August 2008 02:07 PM
4th order bandpass, wheel well design :) (design inside) TWOJZ Car Audio 28 13th January 2008 02:56 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:04 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2