Heathkit As-1348 Huge Speakers??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I saw these at a pawn shop..could not find any info about them on the net. The configurations is: 15" rear firing woofer, two 5" mids on front at top, and THREE DOME Tweets in a semi circle array. MODEL NUMBER IS AS-1348. these puppies are huge, but I have no idea wether they will be worht the pruchase price of $199..even if I test them in the shop it won't be the same with good equipment andn the pawnshop has is a huge cavern, so there will be no real performance test to be doen before purchase. If anyone has a clue as to the quality-performance-origianl price tag-specs, I would be very apreciative!

The 1348 was designed by John Bruss who later, I believe, was chief engineer at Koss. John did some good work but I don't remember much about that particular design. A friend of mine had a pair and I do remember some exceptionally low bass output from that 15" woofer.

As I recall, the 15 was in a sealed enclosure with the front of the cone driving a slot in the rear of the cabinet...a fairly unusual design. I think system resonance was down around 10Hz with that arrangement. I do not remember which drivers were used or anything about the crossover network.

Fairly nifty cabinets if they are still in good shape. The 1348s were relatively expensive when new and only a few hundred were sold, so probably a rare find for a collector.
Paul

HEATHKIT AS-1348

THNX PAUL. How did you know about the MODEL..it seems so rare and odd for HEATHKIT ans such a an odd design. YOu are right the bass driver fires out the back through a slot.. I am going to buy them and I will posts a follow up as to the response and general sound.

AS-1348 speakers

I would like to improve or refresh the crossovers..i have the manuals with the
schematics so the parts are detailed. just wondering which parts to replace them with to really make these speakers sing..

Attachments

• 20150509_070120.jpg
    20150509_070120.jpg
    987.3 KB · Views: 407
  • 20150509_074407.jpg
    20150509_074407.jpg
    624.4 KB · Views: 417
Wow, old thread.

I'd check the crossover capacitors and swap out any electrolytics for film caps of the same value. Chances are the electrolytics have gone way out of spec over the years, so putting fresh ones in ought to bring them much closer to original spec.

Anything else would be guesswork without measurements, so try the caps first and see what you think.

Chris

It seems to be a known fact within the audio community that the brand and type of cap will change the sonic signature of a speaker. while solen caps are good they are primarily used when budget is a concern. now how much difference sonically different they will actually be i cannot say but the numerous posts to audio forums suggest it does make a difference.

thank you.

It seems to be a known fact within the audio community that the brand and type of cap will change the sonic signature of a speaker. while solen caps are good they are primarily used when budget is a concern. now how much difference sonically different they will actually be i cannot say but the numerous posts to audio forums suggest it does make a difference.

thank you.

It is not a fact. It is untrue. I have not seen anyone prove that there is an audible difference. To get the right value would make a difference however so to change the value for the purpose of getting a special cap seems dumb.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.