4 ways with pro drivers advise - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2005, 04:34 PM   #1
Frankx is offline Frankx  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default 4 ways with pro drivers advise

I am a new user, I need some advise for my project of 3\4 way speaker. I need to keep the best part of the pro side and the top class consumer side (dynamic, punchy, but also open, neutral and smooth sound)
I consider 2 possibility:

- 4 ways

woofer: eminence kappapro 15" lf side firing
(increase saf ), according with Branwell and Erik Tangen (almighty subwoofer), see: Eminence Kappa Pro 15LF-2 vs Peerless 12" XLS
http://www.speakerbuilding.com/content/1014/

behringer dcx xo (150 Hz)

mid-low: beyma 8lw30
(very low distortion, right price, see here http://profesional.beyma.com/ENGLISH/producto.php ) or phl 2460

behringer dcx xo (800-1300 Hz)

mid-hi: accuton c44-6 very low distortion, good numbers.

passive xo (3500-4000 Hz low order)

tweeter: accuton c12-6

- second solution, 3 ways

behringer dcx (130 Hz)

Midwoofer: phl 2460 or 1220 (wich is best?)

behringer dcx (1800 Hz)

Tweeter: morel supreme 110
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 8lw30.pdf (93.7 KB, 56 views)
Old 10th June 2005, 09:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Besides... since I have to equalize the woofer (eminence kappa pro 15 lf) to reach 30-35 Hz flat and I don't need very hi spl I am thinking if a sealed box (with some equalization) could produce a better and cleaner sound that a corresponding vented one. I would exclude ebs because I remember that someone (I don' remember who) said that ebs have a dull sound compared to smaller boxes.
Old 11th June 2005, 03:59 AM   #3
mike.e is offline mike.e  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike.e Send a message via MSN to mike.e
Default Re: 4 ways with pro drivers advise

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankx
I am a new user, I need some advise for my project of 3\4 way speaker. I need to keep the best part of the pro side and the top class consumer side (dynamic, punchy, but also open, neutral and smooth sound)
I consider 2 possibility:

- 4 ways

(increase saf ), according with Branwell and Erik Tangen (almighty subwoofer), see: Eminence Kappa Pro 15LF-2 vs Peerless 12" XLS

behringer dcx xo (150 Hz)

mid-low: beyma 8lw30
(very low distortion, right price, see here http://profesional.beyma.com/ENGLISH/producto.php ) or phl 2460

behringer dcx xo (800-1300 Hz)

mid-hi: accuton c44-6 very low distortion, good numbers.

passive xo (3500-4000 Hz low order)

tweeter: accuton c12-6

- second solution, 3 ways

behringer dcx (130 Hz)

Midwoofer: phl 2460 or 1220 (wich is best?)

behringer dcx (1800 Hz)

Tweeter: morel supreme 110
EBS must have lower quality,because it has more bass extension.However I use one,and like it alot.(jbl2226)

Bear in mind that this isnt a high efficency system if it relies on normal morel tweeters. Be careful using prosound components for hifi use,its best to use ones that are proven by others.

Consider 2way
1" horn + 12" mid
3way
1" horn + 6" cone mid horn + 12" midbass

www.geocities.com/xobt
Old 11th June 2005, 09:02 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank you Mike for the advise
I need to use pro sound drivers for the mid bass just because after some project with hifi driver I have discovered that pro sound driver have a punchier and better sound. The jbl is a very good driver but a bit too expensive! the eminence 15 kappa pro lf have a good reputation and low price.
About the efficency I don't relly need hi efficency since I have some hi power amp: I just need that kind of sound (pro).
I am a bit afraid from pro sound tweeter because in my experience they sound veeery dynamic but too harsh.
Do you have experience with some pro 8" driver that have a very good sound in the 150-1000 Hz area? I just know a bit the beyma 8" and the phl 8"
Old 11th June 2005, 09:12 AM   #5
ermes is offline ermes  Greenland
Account disabled at member's request

"I need to use pro sound drivers for the mid bass just because after some project with hifi driver I have discovered that pro sound driver have a punchier and better sound."

it's false!!
every speaker has its own application.
regards
Old 11th June 2005, 09:37 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I understand but there is a lot of people who think different:
Eminence Kappa Pro 15LF-2 vs Peerless 12" XLS
Drivers/loudspeaker distortion .. i want to know the truth!!
and a lot more.

I listen to a lot of rock and electronic music (but not just this) and I have some years of experience in audiophile loudspeaker but in all that time I have discovered just few very good sounding system with that music (ex. some audio phisik and very big kharma). Besides I know a lot of very good sounding big pro monitors. So... that's why I need to try a project with pro audio drivers.
Old 11th June 2005, 09:41 AM   #7
ermes is offline ermes  Greenland
Account disabled at member's request

oh!,
you are free to project with pro drivers!!
good luck,you need it!
Old 12th June 2005, 10:49 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

If you like the 'pro' sound then you'll do fine. I've just sold on my 'audiophile' scanspeak stuff to build 4-way pro stuff as I prefer it.

I'm using beyma 380CD/ TD250 horn with Precision devices 10" PD107 mid, beyma LX60 15" midbass, with planned labsubs below.(am using 3x sealed tempests at present - these will go under the labs from 10- 32Hz eventually))

xo's: labs to 80HZ, LX60 15's 80 - 300Hz, PD107's 300 - 1200Hz, 380CD's 1200Hz and above.

If you don't fancy horns then you could try a high output ribbon between a pair of 8" mids in MTM, with a 12" or 15" midbass and 2x18" below... The ribbons would need to play fairly low though...

Most of the high efficiency stuff is mentioned in 'horn' type searches btw - Although a search on JBL, Beyma or PHL will give some (hours of) good reading.

Good luck with your project ,

Rob
Old 13th June 2005, 12:04 AM   #9
AJinFLA is offline AJinFLA  United States
Banned

Frankx,

Don't blame the driver. Blame the designer of the loudspeaker system. There are good and bad sounding units for both Pro and Home. How they are used is a whole other matter. You say you have a DCX and plenty power. Your wood working skills certainly are not lacking (from your pics). I have only one question. How large is your room? If the answer is - large enough to place the speakers 4' (1.3m) or so out from the rear walls, then it is time to leave the sound of music coming out of a box behind. Its time to enter the world of open baffles (no box). Your budget seems ok for a wide variety of drivers. You already have the electronics.
Look here first.
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/
Do searches for "open baffles" here and elsewhere to see the many designs. Here is mine. I would not have hesitated for a second to buy a Pro unit IF it offered superior performance. The combined cost of the drivers would be about the same as your examples - assuming you can get them.
If you really desire to use Pro drivers, you still could. There are plenty good ones that would work. These Ciares look good for subs (12.00 SW & 15.00 SW).
http://www.ciare.com/oem/
But it doesn't seem like you would have to. Best of luck.

Cheers,

AJ
Click the image to open in full size.

p.s. I just bought a DCX to fool with while I work on my stand alone FIR computer
Old 13th June 2005, 04:18 AM   #10
bzdang is offline bzdang  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have a four-way mono system with pro drivers, and I find this relatively large and higher-than-average-efficiency system makes sound with an effortlessness that my smaller home-hifi equipment can only dream of.
I made a box which could be used ported or sealed with my woofer [200Hz LR24 lowpass x-over] so that I could listen to both types and I have developed a preference for the sealed box. I did try eq but found it unnecessary in this room.

Hide this!Advertise here!