My listening review of every store bought <$30,000 speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Audiophilenoob said:
... because I swapped those cables out for zipcord... to the dealers utter anger... and it sounded... yea you guessed it... IDENTICAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $31,500 = $10...

I'll be those expensive cables can cause quite a few SS amps to oscillate (and possibly cause the magic smoke to escape). Cables can only stuff up sound, not improve it: "Everything should be made as simple as possible -- but no simpler" (Einstein). I'll stick to single runs of 'big' zip cord (I assume you mean ordinary copper cables here) to protect my amps, which are sensitive to that sort of thing.

Sorry to be off topic...

Cloth Ears said:

I'll be those expensive cables can cause quite a few SS amps to oscillate (and possibly cause the magic smoke to escape). Cables can only stuff up sound, not improve it: "Everything should be made as simple as possible -- but no simpler" (Einstein). I'll stick to single runs of 'big' zip cord (I assume you mean ordinary copper cables here) to protect my amps, which are sensitive to that sort of thing.

Sorry to be off topic...

you know that transparency uses caps etc and mucks up the line right?

the magic smoke doesn't exist... and if it does it's just mucking up the signal which some people like

Allow me to intrude...

Audiophilenoob et al.

I read this thread with fruition. It reminded me of the time when I was "only" an audiophile :D

I miss two things here that I would love to be commented:
1) Anyone has been able to compare some of those Hi prized speakers to BIG coaxials like Tannoy's Westminster or (my dreamed) GRF Autograph?

I think with coaxials the music "comes already made" ;)

2) A comparison between stock Hi prized speakers v/s activelly multiamped clones (or pseudoclones or even stock).

It is said (and I tend to agree, based on my limited experience) that activelly multiamped systems will beat even Hi cost passive monsters.

Now I recall an excellent review of the Westminster Royals by the late "Gizmo" (the spirit that protects every newB DIYer :angel: ) in wich he activelly biamped (with tubes I'm affraid) and moded a new pair of those speakers to great success :D

Please see this as a humble request from a third world forum mate that will probably never have the chance to listen to these :angel:

Gratefully yours...
Mauricio

Howdy all,

I belatedly found this thread and I had to chime in on 'noobs experience of the Mac' line array..

It was back in the '90's , so they MAY have changed them some..but I doubt it based on the current description.

They were "un-veiling" them at the CES show in vegas. They were at least smart enough to put them in one of the main pavillions, and not "high end hall".

Any-hoo, I came around the corner, and there they were..absolutely bee-yew-tee-ful, rosewood veneer, classic Mac level of construction, ect, ect.. The Rep noticed me eyeballing them and asked if I would like to hear them, naturally I did. He proudly cranked them up, with me about 15' or so back..I've had dentist appoinments that brought more pleasure..the upper mids on up bordered on painful they were so shrill. I looked at the rep and said "You have got to be kidding me" and left. I've never been able to look at Mac in the same light again.

Casey

I have spoked to a guy which we might take spot in the next audio show in montreal,we are gonna bring our speakers to the show and offer futur custumers the oportunity to buy speakers without having to donate an organ to buy a pair ,and that we can easily match or surpass any "known big" company on the market on the sound and looks.I offered my sound system for the booth,hope we can do this all we need is to know how much for the booth and we are set....let's get cutting!!:smash: :)
be there in march it's gonna be fun!!!:devilr:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.