which type of stuffing? - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2002, 08:37 AM   #136
diyAudio Member

Hi Al,

Thanks for the response...when you say like draught excluder, I'm assuming the shape of the roll and not the material...

Is it harder than the draught excluder foam? - will it compress to 1mm thick?

The stuff I've got at work is very hard thin sheets of rubber (harder than pencil erasers), and its the ideal thickness, I'm just not sure if it will seal as well as something thicker but softer.

The bonus of this stuff is that I can make a gasket cutter to cut out the perfect shape (it's what I do for a living )

Cheers

Rob
Old 14th December 2002, 10:35 AM   #137
diyAudio Moderator

Rob

If you've got it, flaunt it!

Go for it for the time being, it won't hurt, and you can always change it later.
Quote:
will it compress to 1mm thick?
Easily. It is very squishy! I have no idea what it is meant for in real life though.

I find it is often worth going to Tool Fairs and Auto Jumbles if you find them locally. You can pick up strange bits and pieces very cheaply.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 14th December 2002, 10:52 AM   #138
diyAudio Member

I'll give it a go as soon as I get the enclosures all mocked up..

Cheers

Rob
Old 21st December 2002, 06:38 PM   #139
diyAudio Member

Pic of the baffle I'm going to test out..

I've dropped the drivers in, and I reckon the angle won't be too steep - the tweeter has a concave faceplate which means the dome is already set back from a standard tweeter. With the baffle tilted slightly the magnet centres are aligned, and the loudspeaker cookbook suggested that at lowest frequencies the drivers acoustic centre is actually behind the magnet..Obviously I'll only know for sure when I've tested though

I'll sit the mid/tweet can on top of the bass using spikes, with small location holes drilled into the top of the bass, to keep it aligned with the bass...

btw - the pic looks a bit funny as my mate took the pic for me - he assumed the wide bit was the top/narrow bottom, and photo'ed it upside down, hence the weird viewing angle (pic rotated 180 degrees)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baffle.jpg (5.7 KB, 1066 views)
Old 2nd July 2003, 09:50 AM   #140
Andy G is offline Andy G  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Why the ..........

... didn't I see this thread earlier !!!

When I started doing different DIY curved shapes 4 or 5 years ago, I thought no-one else would follow !!!

Rob, Navin, and others: It's sooooo good to see other developing curved sides speakers, and doing things I only wish I had time and patience and that other thing (money !) to try.

Keep up the good work guys !!!
Old 2nd July 2003, 05:34 PM   #141
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Curves are nice

Hey now that Andy has popped this to the top, how is the project (and the move to the new house) going Rob?

dave
Old 2nd July 2003, 06:08 PM   #142
diyAudio Member

Hi Andy, Dave

The move went ok cheers Dave. Almost finished unpacking everything. My rooms in a mess at the moment, but slowly coming together. It's decorated, I just need to knock up a sturdy equipment rack and tidy all the cable away

The bass units are finished except for the front baffle. I've got the leather to cover it, and have the hardboard cut to size. I'm gluing it this weekend, so I'll be able to post finished pics next week hopefully. I'm pretty happy with the sound so far, although my room has a couple of peaks that need supressing. Bass is a lot less directional than my old sub-Hopefully due to less distortion present. I'll be measuring them over the next couple of weeks to see if I need (and want) to Linkwitz transform them.

The veneering had a few problems. I had to re-iron out some bubbles, and the front of one got chipped on it's journey home. I poly varnished in the end which looks ok to me at least. I sprayed the black top and bottom layer, which looked better before I varnished over it(brush marks). I decided to leave the marks in and follow the shape of the enclosure, which makes it look intentional, and match the slight pattern of the leather.

I haven't started the mid cabs yet. Only the 2 tester boxes I mocked up. I've got some more ideas about the mids, just need time to get it all together. I'm pretty sold on using the mids natural 12Db/O roll of with a 2nd order high pass to create a 24Db/O highpass, and crossing at 3KHz to the tweeter using 12Db/O. (L/R)

Cheers, I think I've rambled enough for now

Rob
Old 17th July 2003, 06:52 PM   #143
diyAudio Member

Pics - took a while, but finally got the camera..

Cheers

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic1.jpg (13.9 KB, 1192 views)
Old 17th July 2003, 06:53 PM   #144
diyAudio Member

and:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic2.jpg (16.2 KB, 1134 views)
Old 17th July 2003, 07:07 PM   #145
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

One word... beauty

dave
Old 17th July 2003, 07:15 PM   #146
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
ONE more work GIVE THEM TO ME.. : O )

Are the ported out the back. or they sealed.

What is the driver used. ? how much $$ are they. and final what are you powering them with.
Old 17th July 2003, 07:17 PM   #147
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
One word... beauty

dave

Your being too kind Dave. It thanks to you and Al that I chose to continue this project after that splitting incedent.

I'm hoping to put a small page up on the web when the whole speaker is finished, and I'll put a list of all the people here (and at work) who have contributed their time and knowledge to this project.

You all know who you are - so Thanks Chaps

I'm pleased I finally have something to show here for (nearly) a years work..

Rob
Old 17th July 2003, 07:22 PM   #148
diyAudio Member

Hi Jason,

They're sealed, they're Scanspeak 25w 8565-01's, they're a lot of overtime hours worked and they're driven by 2 Audiolab 8000a integrateds - 1 driver per channel.

Cheers

Rob

btw - thats 4 more words
Old 17th July 2003, 07:24 PM   #149
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
THere nice.. what are your main speakers then. A pair of towers / Satellite speakers or ?
Old 17th July 2003, 07:28 PM   #150
diyAudio Member

At the moment I'm using b+w 602's sitting on top of thes, with my av amp running the 602's as small, and these bass bits as subs. x-over at 90Hz

Eventually I'll be doing the mid/tweet cabs to sit on top of these as a proper 3 way with active x/o's - got the drivers, need the time
Cheers

Rob

Hide this!Advertise here!