which type of stuffing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello again Chaps,

The story so far - main bass unit 120L per cab, with seperate mid/treble above.
Unit to be elipsical in shape (flat front, rounded sides to rounded point at rear)

2 x scanspeak 8565-01 per cab.

Can either get BAF wadding 914mm wide x 40mm thick bonding acetate fibre

or Lambswool (Sold in 120 gram packs - enough for a volume of up tp 20 litres )

Which is better, and how much do you reckon I'd be needing considering the units will be sealed? - the reason I ask is that it'll be hard to get the wadding back out once its assembled - I'm making it out of layers one on top of the other hence no removable panel for access..

Cheers for any advice:)

Rob

Hi Alf - thanks for the response:)

The crossover frequency is approx 300Hz from the bass to midrange, and approx 2000Hz from mid to tweeter. The mid will be in its own 7 Litre enclosure, with the tweeter in its own enclosure above that....

The drivers will be phase aligned...

Cheers

Rob

Hello again, Dave

I have read of many people using wool, but not of many using the BAF stuff. - The supplier I'm using - http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/ - have recommended the BAF.

They're well respected in the UK, but I'm trying to get more opinions from people in the rest of the world too!

The other prob is how much? I'd have gone for about 50% fill and looking in the loudspeaker cookbook seems to suggest that it does'nt make a huge difference.

What about fibreglass? (loft insulation) - that would not sag in the enclosure..

The more I seem to get near starting this build, the more questions seem to appear.

Will the braces stop the wool from settling? or a mixture of wool and loft insulation?

Cheers

Rob

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
RobWells said:
They're well respected in the UK, but I'm trying to get more opinions from people in the rest of the world too!

I bought a lot of stuff from them when i was in University.

The other prob is how much? I'd have gone for about 50% fill and looking in the loudspeaker cookbook seems to suggest that it does'nt make a huge difference.

I a sealed box you are mostly trying to keep stuff from bouncing around. But you don't want to much because it can make things sound closed in. What you are trying to prevent is stuff coming back thru the cone by converting the sound energy into heat. (with your enclosure standing waves shouldn't be much of an issue -- are you going to leave the inside irregular?)

What about fibreglass? (loft insulation) - that would not sag in the enclosure..

Works well

Will the braces stop the wool from settling? or a mixture of wool and loft insulation?

To some extent. I like to put a layer of fiberglass insulation or foam on the walls and then dacron or a wool/dacron mix in the middle.

Can anyone tell me what other names BAF goes under and/or describe it. I'm bound to have some having the insides of many many speakers in my salvage.

dave

I'm guessing it is like a loft insulation but made of plastic fibres (acetate) - probably like the pond filter material?

Probably be as good as any other fibre filling?

It looks like I'll just have to buy some and see what it sounds like at the end:D

You went to uni here? - where abouts?

Rob

btw the sides are a mirror image of each other, but I can easily change one arc by a mm or so to make them different..

Cool, I'm just a bit surprised that you bought from the UK - the exchange rates dont make us very competitive to overseas custom, hence my assumption that you were over here studying.

On the BAF front, if you want I can mail a small sample of it over to you when mine arrives, so you can see for yourself what its like.

Cheers

Rob

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
RobWells said:
Cool, I'm just a bit surprised that you bought from the UK - the exchange rates dont make us very competitive to overseas custom, hence my assumption that you were over here studying.

The Canadian dollar was a lot stronger 27 years ago (it was actually worth more than the US dollar).

On the BAF front, if you want I can mail a small sample of it over to you when mine arrives, so you can see for yourself what its like.

That would be cool. Mail me from the button below and i'll send you my address.

dave

Thanx for the pointer, Navin.

The prob with the box is that I'm using 2 side - side braces, and 3 front to back (horizontally) - I may need very bendy arms to reach to the bottom back:D

I'll only know for sure when it's constructed..

Cheers

Rob

btw - the void free ply thing - your timber merchant should be able to tell you whether it is / isn't. Its a selling point that should put the price up!

I use similar bracing "technolgy". You migh not reach the whole box but you can reach enough to make a difference to the sound.

another idea. wrap the stuffing in thin cotton (muslin) cloth and stich handles on the cloth bags. then you can remove these bags. there is a trade off though. small bages means too many bags. large bags means you can onyl adjust in large steps. you cam mix though. put the bags in the back.

hope this helps.

planet10 said:

Share the pics with us?

dave

I can sort some shots out tomorrow but be warned!:D

We work in 2D, not 3 so they'll not make as much sense as a nice autocad shot! - you'll see the layers from the top, and a roughish front shot of the baffle superimposed on the front type thing!

The cad system we use is designed for die-making, and purely for sorting out a laser to burn layers, rather than 3d stuff - It makes sense to me as I've designed it as such....

I'll do my best anyway......

Rob

:D I dont really know much about other cad systems to be honest, just the one I use at work......I used autocad as it seems to be the industry standard in the UK........

Its been a long time since I heard "oxymoron" in everyday conversation though - takes me back to english lit. at college..hehe....

Rob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.