which type of stuffing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Andy, Dave

The move went ok cheers Dave. Almost finished unpacking everything. My rooms in a mess at the moment, but slowly coming together. It's decorated, I just need to knock up a sturdy equipment rack and tidy all the cable away

The bass units are finished except for the front baffle. I've got the leather to cover it, and have the hardboard cut to size. I'm gluing it this weekend, so I'll be able to post finished pics next week hopefully. I'm pretty happy with the sound so far, although my room has a couple of peaks that need supressing. Bass is a lot less directional than my old sub-Hopefully due to less distortion present. I'll be measuring them over the next couple of weeks to see if I need (and want) to Linkwitz transform them.

The veneering had a few problems. I had to re-iron out some bubbles, and the front of one got chipped on it's journey home. I poly varnished in the end which looks ok to me at least. I sprayed the black top and bottom layer, which looked better before I varnished over it(brush marks). I decided to leave the marks in and follow the shape of the enclosure, which makes it look intentional, and match the slight pattern of the leather.

I haven't started the mid cabs yet. Only the 2 tester boxes I mocked up. I've got some more ideas about the mids, just need time to get it all together. I'm pretty sold on using the mids natural 12Db/O roll of with a 2nd order high pass to create a 24Db/O highpass, and crossing at 3KHz to the tweeter using 12Db/O. (L/R)

Cheers, I think I've rambled enough for now:eek:

Rob

Pics - took a while, but finally got the camera..

Cheers

Rob

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,312
planet10 said:
One word... beauty :)

dave

:eek: Your being too kind Dave. It thanks to you and Al that I chose to continue this project after that splitting incedent.

I'm hoping to put a small page up on the web when the whole speaker is finished, and I'll put a list of all the people here (and at work) who have contributed their time and knowledge to this project.

You all know who you are - so Thanks Chaps:)

I'm pleased I finally have something to show here for (nearly) a years work..

Rob

At the moment I'm using b+w 602's sitting on top of thes, with my av amp running the 602's as small, and these bass bits as subs. x-over at 90Hz

Eventually I'll be doing the mid/tweet cabs to sit on top of these as a proper 3 way with active x/o's - got the drivers, need the time;)
Cheers

Rob

Thanks for the kind words people..

Kanga, it's the depth that allows the volume to be so big the cabs measure 16.5" at their widest, 29"deep and 31" high.Believe me they are pretty big (2 man lift - weigh about 170 pounds each.)

However the taper does tend to give a slimming effect to them.

The stuffing was BAF, with the bitumen/closed cell stuff on the inside walls aswell.

Cheers

Rob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.