TL subs in the Attic? and Triangular Cabinets - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2002, 05:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
Question TL subs in the Attic? and Triangular Cabinets

Hi all,

Besides my intro this is my first post, so please be ......... gentle.
Some of the questions may be foolish, but I'm relying on you to unsilly me. Thanks

I would like to install TL subs in my attic where I would have virtually no size constraint considerations. My questions are:

Everything I've read about TLs is to have a path 1/4 of the wavelength of the Fs you're looking for. Is a path 1/2 or (oh my god) the full wavelength a feasible thing?

I have never heard of using a passive radiator at the end of the TL line. Has this been tried?

Would the Peerless 10" subs (831727) I have now be OK firing down from the ceiling or are other subs made differently (and for this direction of firing)?

Finally (at least about subs) since I have a lot a flexibility about where the driver & mouth of the line would be; would it be a good or bad thing to have the sub drivers mounted near the front of the room and the mouths of the line directly over my sweet spot chair?

Now for the mains:

From what I've read spheres seem the best enclosure (not feasible for me) and and uneven triangle with sloped side walls 2nd best (fits in the room).

I'd like to have the speakers on the wall at the ceiling corners. The cabinets would be constructed with the drivers angled down & in to my listening chair.

Would this placement be a horror or could it work?

Thanks again, I look forward to hearing from everyone & hope someone else finds an answer to a question they might have.
__________________
Probably a silly question, but ........
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2002, 12:41 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
Default Additional Info

I should have added that the den this is all happening in is 18' long x 11' wide with an 8' ceiling.

Also I have this wonderful deal with my wife. I can do whatever I want in the den, but have no say in the rest of the house, or access to the credit cards, or check signing. All in all a fair deal.
__________________
Probably a silly question, but ........
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2002, 02:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
 
roddyama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Michigan
Hi Ralph,

Welcome to the forum. The TL in the attic is a great idea (a good winter project, I'd hate to be up there in the summer ). Planet 10 (one of the forums peace keepers ) is the TL guy. Hopefully he'll come pay a visit to provide some guidance in this regard.

WRT the main speakers in the ceiling, I only caution you that you will limit your placement options. Getting a pair of speakers to work in a room can, at times, be very difficult. This can become an impossible situation if the speakers are locked in a fixed position. I have always like to have my speakers a couple feet away from the front wall. It tends to add to the image depth. I think I would stick with floor placement.

What! No That's no fun.
Rodd Yamas***a
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2002, 03:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Torrance, CA
Even better than a TLine, If you are going to put subs in an attic, use an Infinitely baffled" setup. You just put the 'back' end of the sub so that it radiates inside your attic. This is essentially a 'perfect' enclosure - see Cult of the Infinitely Baffled Gallery There's a forum as well.
__________________
== John ==
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2002, 03:54 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
Default Re: TL subs in the Attic? and Triangular Cabinets

Quote:
Originally posted by ralph-bway
I would like to install TL subs in my attic where I would have virtually no size constraint considerations.
Good idea. I plan on building some in the ceiling area of my shop (12' ceilings) firing into the listening room (there is a convienient split-level right behind the speakers).

Quote:
Everything I've read about TLs is to have a path 1/4 of the wavelength of the Fs you're looking for. Is a path 1/2 or (oh my god) the full wavelength a feasible thing?
No matter how long you make it, once you close one end of the pipe and open the other you have a quarter-wave resonantor. It is actually better to have a line a little short than too long.

Quote:
I have never heard of using a passive radiator at the end of the TL line. Has this been tried?
Shahinian does this in some of their models.

Quote:
Would the Peerless 10" subs (831727) I have now be OK firing down from the ceiling or are other subs made differently (and for this direction of firing)?
That would probably work fine -- i don't recommend firing it down thou, you will decrease its lifespan at minimum.

Quote:
Finally (at least about subs) since I have a lot a flexibility about where the driver & mouth of the line would be; would it be a good or bad thing to have the sub drivers mounted near the front of the room and the mouths of the line directly over my sweet spot chair?
My 1st reaction was no, but i'm giving this some thot. Usually the terminus and driver are approximately equidistant from the listener. Your lines are going to be 12-13' long (for the Peerless). I personally like to get the terminus tucked right up next to the driver.

Quote:
Now for the mains:

From what I've read spheres seem the best enclosure (not feasible for me)
Better than spheres are half elipsoids that taper away at the back (ie a teardrop is an example) The B&W Nautilus are a good example.

Quote:
uneven triangle with sloped side walls 2nd best (fits in the room).
Anything with non-parallel walls.

Quote:
I'd like to have the speakers on the wall at the ceiling corners. The cabinets would be constructed with the drivers angled down & in to my listening chair.
This is where i was thinking the woofers would load into the room. Probably not an ideal place for mains. That said one of the fellows on the FR Forum has a set of open baffles he has cut so that they fit into the rooms corners and reposrts good results. An open baffle is big thou and his drivers are not actually in the corners -- imagine 2 sheets of plywood trimmed to fit up in the corners.

As Rodd says, better placement is usually out in the room and some flexibility to play with position is almost certainly a reuirement to getting the best sound.

Quote:
Would this placement be a horror or could it work?
Likely the former

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2002, 03:35 AM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
Default Thanks

Thanks for the input guys, and you got me thinking (this is where my wife usually says oh-oh).

John - thanks for the link to IB, it's very interesting but seems be overpowering.

Rodd - I figured since the mains would be rolling off at 80hz the bass boost if at all present could be compensated for. I didn't realize I would be hurting the image depth.

Dave - You made some points that raised some questions for me.

I've looked around at your site & Subwoofer DIY and could use the wave length for 22hz.

How many degrees of downward tilt (if any) is possible without accelerating the demise of a driver?

You said you prefered a shorter rather than longer line. Why? I thought the advantage of a longer line was that it didn't have to be dampened as exactly as a shorter line.

I thought if the rear radiation from the driver has to travel 12-13' before exiting the terminus and the terminus is equidistant from the listener doesn't this put the signal from the rear of the driver significantly delayed from the front of the driver signal, or is trying to get both signals there at the same time helping phase cancelation?

Thanks again everyone.
__________________
Probably a silly question, but ........
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2002, 04:13 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
Default Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by ralph-bway
I've looked around at your site & Subwoofer DIY and could use the wave length for 22hz.
speed of sound divided by the frequency, in this case 1130/22=51.4'

Quote:
How many degrees of downward tilt (if any) is possible without accelerating the demise of a driver?
Just mount the driver in the regular orientation.

Click the image to open in full size.

This version doesn't consider that you will probably need an offset to kill the 1st harmonic.

Quote:
You said you prefered a shorter rather than longer line. Why? I thought the advantage of a longer line was that it didn't have to be dampened as exactly as a shorter line.
An ideal line is 1/4 the Fs, a shorter line can be given a bit more damping, you can't do anything about a line that is too long (ie you can't speed up the speed of sound (well you could fill it with liquid, but that is probably impractical)

Quote:
I thought if the rear radiation from the driver has to travel 12-13' before exiting the terminus and the terminus is equidistant from the listener doesn't this put the signal from the rear of the driver significantly delayed from the front of the driver signal, or is trying to get both signals there at the same time helping phase cancelation?
The terminus output derives from the out-of-phase back radiation of the driver -- you need the delay to bring it into phase with the front.

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2002, 05:59 AM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
Default Design

Dave that drawing is elegant in it's simplicity. What are the 1st harmonics? What taper ratio have you found successful?
__________________
Probably a silly question, but ........
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2002, 06:01 AM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Torrance, CA
I don't understand this at all - why not just go with an Infinitely baffled sub? My understanding is that transients are near perfect (no resistance to the cone moving), and output is high as you don't have to wory about the dipole wave cancelling anything. Is there something the extra complexity and extra hole's of the TL give you?
__________________
== John ==
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2002, 06:37 AM   #10
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mumbai (Bombay), India
Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Dave,

the driver and the TL end in the same mouth. does not seem kosher to me.

taper I have found that works is 1.25Xsd at the begining to 0.75xSd at the end or 1.5Xsd at the begining to 1xSd at teh end.

cheers
__________________
...still looking for the holy grail.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Triangular waveform dead rat Class D 27 11th November 2008 05:54 PM
Repeater for attic FM antenna Alex Barnett Everything Else 2 15th April 2007 08:34 AM
attic clean up - Siemens 47nF KP film caps cocolino Swap Meet 0 20th May 2006 08:41 PM
Hiding woofer enclosure in attic? mjgraves Multi-Way 4 5th July 2005 03:12 PM
Triangular U Baffle johninCR Multi-Way 12 22nd March 2005 07:52 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:41 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2