Is my power tapering wired correctly?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think I am, but I want to make sure i'm wiring my speakers correctly. I have 9, 8ohm drivers. I'm trying to wire them 4/3/2 in series. Then those 3 strings, in parallel to give me 7.38ohms. Is my crude schematic correct?

Attachments

• arrayohm.gif
    arrayohm.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 166
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
GuyPanico said:
I think I am, but I want to make sure i'm wiring my speakers correctly. I have 9, 8ohm drivers. I'm trying to wire them 4/3/2 in series. Then those 3 strings, in parallel to give me 7.38ohms. Is my crude schematic correct?

Just to make sure I understand: you have 9 drivers, each 8 ohms nominal. So what are those resistance numbers in the drawing?
If I had 9 times 8 ohms, I would wire 3 each in series, that gives each string of three 24 ohms. Then I would parallel those three strings, giving me, surprise, 8 ohms!

If you have equal impedance drivers, and you wire them in different groups, you may get a 'good' impedance, but the drivers will have unequal loads and unequal loudness.

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
GuyPanico said:
I labeled them according to thier series impedance.

8-8-8-8 = 32ohm
8-8-8 = 24ohm
8-8 = 16ohm

It's my understanding power tapering of line arrays improves the sound quality. Albeit my line isn't terribly long.

Well, I don't know, I'm no speaker expert, maybe it has to do with beaming or lobing. But the group of 4 will have 3dB less power each than the group of 2. Isn't that kind of drastic?

Jan Didden

I have no power tapering in my NSB array using 16 and there is no sound quality issues because of it. Try a simple wiring method first before you do an exotic one. Bring each NSB wire to a terminal block
so you can configure your wiring method by jumpering wires on the other side of the terminal block.

I also read on another forum someone tried tapering on their NSB then went back to non-tapered and liked it better.

There is no absolutes, just try.

ie,
http://www.lusty-blundell.co.nz/ewebeditpro3/upload/2406 Blue Sea Terminal Block 20Amp.jpg

Power tapering....

The point of power tapering is to anchor the sound more towards the middle of the array, so really you are looking for a symmetrical layout with the outer speakers tapered down a bit.

What you are suggesting with the 4,3,2, config will not achieve this purpose. Go with 3 lots of 3 in a short array or get an extra driver each side and taper 3/2/2/3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.