The Square Wave Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bill,

A couple of questions. If you need a high xo in the 5K range doesn't that severely restrict the available tweeters since the placement needs to be tight? What tweeter would you use?

Also, I am curious why you didn't consider the Jordans. Is it a price or quality issue? On paper at least they look specifically made for what you are doing.

Just curious,
Phil

I see that my reply to your previous question never got posted.

I don't know about the software available. I downloaded Speaker Workshop but it crashes when I try to run it.

Yes, the curved baffle is to keep every driver at the same distance to the listener.

Yes, the Jordans look good and if I personally was looking for a limited power handling capacity and low efficiency I would pick it for a MT configuration despite it's high price.

Personally, I want excellent SPL capability and the sharing of power between the mids seems the only solution short of horns. Part of the problem is the baffle step loss, as much as 6db, and in a frequency range that carries the bulk of the power.

Yes, I would go for a tight placement of the tweeter and mid but I would tend to do that anyway, whatever the crossover frequency. The tweeter hasn't been selected yet but I think there are a few good candidates.

Bill,

Thanks for the quick response.

After reading the fine print, I'd agree with your assessment of the Jordan drivers. Although you could drive about 4 woofs to get adequate sustainable dB, you would also have to gang 4 tweeters as well which would tend to smear the very high end, correct?

I am trying Speaker Workshop which seems to work fine except I can't get the sub roll-off correct with an inductor. Since I just started using it, I'm sure I'm just missing something.

By the way, thanks for letting me pick your brain. Since you seem to be doing almost exactly what I want to do, your the obvious one to ask questions of. ;)

Phil

Four Jordans in parallel would get the SPL up there but the impedance would be to low for many amps. Four in series-parallel would offer an improvement over one but the SPL would still be on the low side after factoring in the baffle step loss. But, at $100 per, I believe there are better options.

If you're modeling isn't producing the expected results it may be because you have forgotten the zobel?

I hope you haven't forgotten that we are talking about a bi-amped system here.

Bill,

Oops! I guess it's back to the books again. I saw the term zobel but I didn't actually read up on it. :eek:

I forgot that you were going bi or tri amped. I think that's getting a bit much for me. What I would like to do is a 'simple' MTM or WMTMW.

I guess that I had better leave you alone and start my own thread.

Thank you very much for your time.

Phil

You should reconsider about bi-amping. Passive crossovers at subwoofer frequencies are either very expensive or very lossy.

Drop by my web site and click on YGBSM to learn some of the real advantages of bi-amping. There is so much to gain and nothing to lose except the cost of the crossover and extra amp.

Bill,

I do have the subwoofer issue already handled so I just need a standard 3 way crossover for the tweeter-mid-woofer. I only need to go down to 30-35 Hz so I think I can find a driver that I can cross over somewhere in the 375-500 Hz range. I think that's not too bad.

Am I missing something?

Since the cross is to be first order it should have as low a Rf as possible. It should have a 1" or 1 1/8" ferrofluid voice coil, an effeciency of 90-91 db and a fairly flat response up to 18K+. I still see the cross at 4K to 6K so even with the above, at high SPL the tweeter will be taxed. It might be possible to add an active notch or additional filtering at, or slightly above Rf, with little impact on the design goals if this thing goes tri-amped but I am hoping to keep it bi-amped.

Since there is only one per channel price is of minor consideration - say $100 each. But, as always, the cheaper the better.

Some tweeters, mostly ScanSpeak models, have already been suggested but I am not familiar with their performance or cost.. I need to investigate.

I've pretty much zeroed in on the Tangband W4-654S as the mid. but not trusting published specs, I need to get a couple and measure them, so the jury is still out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.