what would your design be if you didn't have to worrie about fr. response? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2005, 10:28 PM   #1
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

Default what would your design be if you didn't have to worrie about fr. response?

I have a behringer 8024 which I have to say is one of the best peices I have ever spent my money on. When used on just about any system in a room with some sound absorbtion/diffraction it makes a world of difference. I was wondering what would your guys' design goals be for a speaker if you didn't have to worry about the frequency response? Would you worry about driver distortion? transient response?
Old 19th June 2005, 11:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

bump
Old 20th June 2005, 12:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I think you're looking at this the wrong way - please don't be offended but can I offer my reasons as to why I wouldn't do what you are suggesting?

Equalisation is a great thing but like everything it has it downsides. I think its a much better idea to get a design well sorted as a whole, including the FR, adding minimal EQ at this point can offer benefits regarding room correction but a brute force EQ approach to mask a weak speaker design is like trying to hide a rickity floor board with a rug. Best to replace the floorboard and then add that rug as a finishing touch.
Old 20th June 2005, 08:47 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I guess I was looking for ideas aside from the maximally flat FR. I'm trying to see if anyone uses anything but FR. to desing a speaker.

Hide this!Advertise here!