Right Sub for Speaker Enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay, usually people ask what is the best speaker then you use a program to make a box. Well, this situation is the other way around. We have the enclosure and wanted to ask if anyone could tell us what is the best speaker to put into this box.
The enclosure is a powered subwoofer box. But we want to replace the sub with a way better one. Not sure which one would best utilize the box as it is.

Box measurements:
14.3" W (363 mm)
21.7" H (550 mm)
18.9" D (480 mm) with grille
53 lb (24 kg)

The amplifier provides 150W RMS into 4 ohms from 20 Hz to 200 Hz, less than 0.09% total harmonic distortion
12" (300 mm) polypropylene cone
This enclosure is ported.
Link for speaker below:

1050SW

assuming the box hass 1" thick walls the internals are 12x19x17" = little over 2 cu. ft.

most nice 12" woofers I know would require about 3 cu. ft for a Qts that is below 0.8. If you are willing to live with a slight peak in the response you can try the Shiva or Audio Concpets SV12.

if you need a faster woofer try the Vifa M26 (10") woofer or the Peerles CSX range. The Focal, SS and AT woofers are a bit expensive for this use.

However with a 10" woofer you would have to make anew baffle.
Other than that the opton is to use a 12" woofer and then tune the box using aperiodic vent. I have used APVs to make boxes lossy (and get by with smaller than usualy boxes) but this ia hit or miss and requires a lot of experimetation.

hope this helps.

Okay, that sounds good. Do you know which woofer say around $50-100 that would work good in this box? I see you list some of the really good brands, but might be a lil bit to expensive. I'm finding this info out for my friend. So I'll double check to see how much he'll want to spend on a woofer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.