Speaker Stands

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. I'm embarking on a new project, an open baffle design using dayton RS 7"ers and morel MDT32s. I won't get into the design yet (I haven't even designed the crossover yet) but I'm stuck with how to make the stands. To tell you the truth the black PVC pipe and wood tops and bottoms just look ick and for that matter any pipe with wood on both ends doesn't seem to fit with the look that I'm going for with my speaker.

It an open baffle design and I am using 26" tall by 16.6" wide 3/4 inch maple boards as the baffles. I plan on french polishing the boards with a shelac that has an amber hue for some color (no staining). The baffle finish is not up for discussion here. What is is a speaker stand that would complement this look. I'm not looking for advice on how to attatch the stand or anything like that, just a picture or design idea that would look classy, blend with the solid maple, and be reasonable in price. I'm shooting for no more than $50 for a pair. I came across what I considered an interesting and nice looking design here on diyaudio a while ago and saved the picture but have since lost it. It was along the lines of what looked like 2x4s cut into 1' sections and screwed together in a staggered back and forth look. They were stained and looked nice, all wood mind you. Trust me, when I say 2x4s you might cringe, but this design looked nice, 2x4s is the only way I could think to describe the wood size and layout. So what do you all think? What are your ideas/pictures?

I'm not looking for "freaky" looking designs or "super artsy" that bend and wave all over the place and look like they came out of a bad futuristic sci-fi movie either. My dream would be two aged peices of drift wood stained and coated with a clear coat to make them shine, I don't know, it just looks good in my mind. Acoustically it might not work out. . .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.