Pros/Cons to an OB Dayton Reference line array with an IB sub? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th May 2005, 01:04 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Pros/Cons to an OB Dayton Reference line array with an IB sub?

I'm throwing around a few line array ideas as I finish up a set of line arrays that use the JBL 4.5" Buyouts and Fountek JP-2.0 tweeters. I built a cheap pair of OB computer speakers with the Hi-Vi B3N speakers and absolutely love their sound. I know many have praised OB speakers and I was thinking of maybe trying some with the Dayton RS150 and the Dayton PT2-B planars. I would go 9 RS150s and 8 PT2-Bs, with an infinite baffle subwoofer that housed four 15" woofers (either the Atlas 15, Dayton IB15 or the AE15s).

Any pros/cons to a setup like this? I know I will need to keep them a few feet from the back and side walls, which shouldn't be a huge problem.

Thanks!
Old 29th May 2005, 01:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The Dayton (HiVi) planars don't match the quality of the Dayton RS woofers. Fountek's would sound better but of course they cost more.

http://www.mfk-projects.com/tweeter_data_1.htm#RT2H
Old 29th May 2005, 02:09 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info. I have heard the PT2s in a few setups and actually am quite fond of them, especially for their price. There's no way I can afford the Founteks, and if I could I would get them.

I'm more or less looking for pro/cons on the woofer side for an OB line array with the RS150s.

Thanks!
Old 29th May 2005, 02:39 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to joe carrow
I've been reading up about the results of testing the dayton reference series, and it appears that the RS180 seven inch is the pick of the litter.

The problem with the five and six inch drivers is that there is a greater portion of the cone covered by the magnet to the rear, they have reduced Xmax, reduced radiating area, and their breakup modes aren't much higher than those of the RS180.

You can take this with a grain of salt since I haven't heard any of them for myself. Definitely search the archives for line array stuff- it might push you in a different direction based on your goals for the project.

Joe
Old 29th May 2005, 03:02 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The problem with the RS180 is the center-to-center spacing would be over 7 inches, meaning you would need to cross over fairly low to avoid combing.

I'll throw it all out there. I jumped the gun and already purchased the RS150s and the PT2Bs! I was sold on doing a set of sealed speakers and using an infinite baffle sub to cover the low end, but want to see what everyone thought about doing an open baffle line array?

Thanks!
Old 29th May 2005, 10:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I recently build a system with the RS150 and the PT2(no MTM).
They build a perfect pair! The only thing is, I modified the PT2. It sounds better and it's much easier to xover.
Even Tony Gee(the guy from Humble Homemade Hifi)was impressed, he told me that he liked the way I matched them, it sounded very coherent. So, in quality they match eachother now, else it wouldn't sound coherent.
Here you can see them along with Tony's new creation! http://www.symfocity.demon.nl/IMG_1121Large.JPG and http://www.symfocity.demon.nl/IMG_1120Large.JPG

I also think (seen in a recent german magazine test) that the RS150 is the one that is pretty easy to xover. It has also lots of resonances in the upper high end but they die remarkably faster then the resonances of the RS180.
Old 29th May 2005, 01:36 PM   #7
Paul W is offline Paul W  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm using OB with IB subs and am thoroughly satisfied with the "boxless" sound of both...they integrate very, very well.

One suggestion is to run the RS150s through SL's "SPL" spreadsheet to make sure your intended baffle gives you enough oomph on the bottom end.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 29th May 2005, 03:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Paul W,

WOWZERS! Is there any way you could provide more pictures and information on those speakers? I've seen your IB before on the "cult" and that is very, very impressive!

You can post the info here or shoot me an e-mail at mazeroth8@yahoo.com

Thanks!
Old 29th May 2005, 04:50 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by catapult
The Dayton (HiVi) planars don't match the quality of the Dayton RS woofers. Fountek's would sound better but of course they cost more.

http://www.mfk-projects.com/tweeter_data_1.htm#RT2H

Wow ... so the HI-Vi has that much mechanical distortion? is that inherent in all of the Hi-Vi planars ? Or is it just that one model ?

And that scan speak tweeter is mucho smooth like butter by the looks of that graph. It might be a better purchase then the planar
Old 29th May 2005, 04:51 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bombardon73
I recently build a system with the RS150 and the PT2(no MTM).
They build a perfect pair! The only thing is, I modified the PT2. It sounds better and it's much easier to xover.

Can you share any details on the mods to the PT2 and what the effects were?

Hide this!Advertise here!