Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2005, 04:42 PM   #1
snivit is offline snivit  United States
diyAudio Member

Default altec 511 b drivers

Hello all !
I have a pair of Altec 511 b's on 811 a horns. I would like to use them in my system. Is it nornal that the top end of this configuration only produces highs to about 8khz ? I thought these would do about 15k .

Thank you.
Old 28th May 2005, 05:09 PM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

The 511B is the 500Hz version of the 800Hz 811B lens so I seriously doubt it's 'driving' the 811B. If Altec, the drivers used could be 802, 804, 806, 807, 808, 902, or 909 series depending on their age, app, and what diaphragm is in them. Then there's the component versions used in some consumer apps, so without knowing which driver is on the 811Bs..........

Regardless, the 800 series drivers all have AlNiCo magnets which will weaken over time depending on their amount of use/abuse, so yours may just need to be drained/rezapped. Also, these 1" drivers are done by ~4300Hz so are in direct radiator/break-up mode above this point. Consequently, between this fact and that the 511/811 lens is a constant directivity (CD) design they must be EQ'd to get a ~flat response out to 15-20k depending on the driver/diaphragm used and acceptable amount of shelving/EQ.

GM
Old 28th May 2005, 05:52 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Snivit,

If you can post a pic of the driver, then GM's your man for asking any questions about what to do with them. He's our resident Altec guru.

Cal
Old 29th May 2005, 11:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank you both for your reply.
I have 806a's on h-811 b horns. I am curious about the possibility of getting them to work up to at least 15k flat ( flatish). Ha Ha .
Also, What is this about the magnets ? Please explain this to me. What is the process ?
As far as use and abuse, I know the original owner and the were well taken care of.
Thanks,

Snivit
Old 30th May 2005, 04:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Greets!

If still stock, then the 806s have alum. diaphragms, so assuming the magnets are still strong it will take either ~+12dB boost at 15kHz or this much shelving with a bypass cap (R/C network). IOW, it rolls off 2nd order above ~7.5kHz and why many folks switch to the later 802-8G or 909 series driver which goes out to 20kHz with minimal EQ. Other folks just use a R/C network to shelve to match the LF section and if still too weak on the topend, then they add a supertweeter to fill in. This improves off axis response somewhat so is a better solution if folks sit outside the 811's rather narrow HF 'sweet spot'.

AlNiCo loses its charge over time, and rather rapidly if struck or overheated. If these were only used in a HIFI app, then they may still be fine, but if PA then they will need to be drained/re-magnetized by someone set up to do it, like Great Plains Audio.

GM
Old 31st May 2005, 04:57 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info. I will tinker with it to see how they sound with a shelving network.
Take care.
Old 31st May 2005, 02:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Oops! I forgot to mention that if at some point you choose to upgrade to a later Tangerine phase plug driver to get the increased HF response will require an 800 Hz XO min. or it will need excessive shelving due to the fact that a compression (bandpass) driver can only work over so many octaves, having to 'rob Peter to pay Paul' as they say.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!