The Price of NON-DIY.. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2005, 07:06 AM   #1
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Default The Price of NON-DIY..

Here I am reading this review in Stereotimes about the ESP Concert Grand SI Loudspeakers:
http://www.stereotimes.com/

..And I'm thinking: "this guy really hasn't told me much about the speakers capability. Sure, he has delineated several key areas, but then says the same thing all over again (tonality, musicality, live-sounding..whatever that is..)."

So I get to the last paragraph of two pages (that could have been stated in a single paragraph - "..hmm, must get paid by the word").. and look at the price tag! **** ****!!

"I must have missed somthing there.. this is a line array with with a line of side firing ambiance tweeters right?"

NOPE, plainly stated near the price tag that its 2 tweets, 4 mid.s, and 4 woofers (..per side "even").

So I'm thinking the editorial division of Stereotimes was a little lax and messed-up so I proceeded to the posted website. Sure enough they got it correct.

The manufacturer then has the audacity to provide this "explanation" why the speakers cost what they do (as if they are priced W A Y to low):
http://www.esploudspeakersna.com/pricing/index.html

Sure, I understand the cost of Marketing, Legal, Insurance, Employment, "Boutique" production, etc.. But the cost of parts and material don't even amount to 5% of the total retail. What do they think they are selling..soap? (..and w/out discounts I might add.)

Now I know we all spend W A Y to much time on this hobby, but I gotta tell ya - building your own Loudspeakers just seemed to get a L O T cheaper!! (.. and probably better to.)
Old 28th May 2005, 07:14 AM   #2
Jennice is offline Jennice  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I don't know the speakers, and I don't care about them...What triggers me is that they feel a need to explain their pricing on their web site! That saysa more than enough for me...
Old 28th May 2005, 05:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to joe carrow
I had typed a long reply about how all of the "best" speakers over a certain point should really all start to sound the same, and how I would pay a large premium just to get it "right" to save my own time, if my time was so valuable that a few weekends were worth over $50k.

Something that's far more interesting to me is the area right around $1,000. What are some commercial speakers in that range, and how do they compare to DIY projects that cost significantly less? Mostly, I wonder if it is worth my time to spend $300 to $700 on a project when I could get something from Cambridge Soundworks or B&W for a similar cost.

Even if the cost savings isn't a huge win, this is still a fun hobby and I've had a good time learning all about the physics of it.
Old 28th May 2005, 07:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joe carrow
Even if the cost savings isn't a huge win, this is still a fun hobby and I've had a good time learning all about the physics of it.
This is exactly what has triggered me to get started on the journey into the area of DIY speakers.

If you don't count the value of your own time spent, my experience is that you can get better amps for the money DIY style vs. commercial (at least those commercial ones I've heard). I'm quite pleased with my B&W's, but I suppose time will tell if I am successful at DIY'ing speakers, too

Oh, well.. at least it's a way to learn.
Jennice
Old 28th May 2005, 11:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: The Price of NON-DIY..

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottG
Now I know we all spend W A Y to much time on this hobby, but I gotta tell ya - building your own Loudspeakers just seemed to get a L O T cheaper!! (.. and probably better to.)
Believe it or not, even with as much time I spend on this forum, I disagree....

If you are looking at high end and the few who hang around here and are trully into the big $$$ drivers and parts, that is a different matter, they are spending less money DIYing than buying a comparable speaker, and that is great.

But the low end stuff with low end drivers....people building line arrays with $0.49 drivers with 9 dB response peaks that pass unaddressed , well I am pretty sure my $100 (new) Monsoon computer speakers can blow the doors off of them!

Not, I don't mean to slam people by this, I know starting with inexpensive drivers and building your way up is the smart way to go, but for pete's sake, call it like it is!
Old 29th May 2005, 03:02 AM   #6
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: The Price of NON-DIY..

Quote:
Originally posted by leadbelly

Believe it or not, even with as much time I spend on this forum, I disagree....

If you are looking at high end and the few who hang around here and are trully into the big $$$ drivers and parts, that is a different matter, they are spending less money DIYing than buying a comparable speaker, and that is great.

But the low end stuff with low end drivers....people building line arrays with $0.49 drivers with 9 dB response peaks that pass unaddressed , well I am pretty sure my $100 (new) Monsoon computer speakers can blow the doors off of them!

Not, I don't mean to slam people by this, I know starting with inexpensive drivers and building your way up is the smart way to go, but for pete's sake, call it like it is!
From one point of view, I must agree!

From a hobby point of view, this is really a good alternative to bars & pubs.
Old 29th May 2005, 08:43 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Re: The Price of NON-DIY..

Quote:
Originally posted by leadbelly
well I am pretty sure my $100 (new) Monsoon computer speakers
The MM500 (or the lesser successor the 502) were -- except for the quantity on the bottom -- the best of the monsoon line. Compared to a regular hifi speaker quite limited in total output but great for near field (i mutated 2 par into a single pair with stereo woofers and a bit less stress on the power supplies). With no current computer speaker anywhere near as competitive, i'm sitting on my spare pair until someone offers me way more than i paid for them.

The big LA have macho and BIG in their favour... as long as the owner enjoys the music more power to them

dave
Old 29th May 2005, 09:28 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to youyoung21147
As a teenager I don't have much money and time either. (but time is money so I have nothing )

For me, DIYaudio is a hobby at first and allows me to taste quality for less.

I like building and conception so when I build speakers I do all myself, except the drivers off course, because it's a sort of "defy" for me. Will it work ? Won't it work ?
I often stay on a project until I'm totally satisfied with it, like on my parent's Home theater speakers

When you do something good by yourself, you are the most often proud of your work, and this is a priceless pleasure !
Old 29th May 2005, 11:32 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: The Price of NON-DIY..

Quote:
Originally posted by soongsc
From a hobby point of view, this is really a good alternative to bars & pubs.
I wonder if DIY speakers or going to a pub would have the lowest spouse acceptance factor...

Jennice
Old 29th May 2005, 11:49 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I wonder if DIY speakers or going to a pub would have the lowest spouse acceptance factor...
Jennice,
You hit the nail 'right on the head'! THAT is the only argument that has worked for me every single time!

Hide this!Advertise here!