Are there any dome tweeters that sound like ribbons?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
tmblack said:
For some reason the full range ribbons from Apogee produce amazingly detailed sounds.

I suspiect they produce less harmonic distorition. Is there any dome drivers that produce that quality of sound?

Tom

Do you have a web site that shows what full range ribbons look like?

If you like the full range ribbons, why would you want to ask about dome drivers then?

Stereophile says in its Audio Physic Kronos review that Scan-speak R-904/7000 has almost the same

qualities and air sound as the ribbon(manufactured by Raven) in Aerial Acoustics Model 20T, but not

the SAME!

Also as soongsc said why you ask about domes, while you liked the full range ribbons from Apogee?

Apogees long discontinued them but they were quit a sight in the late 80's..to 90's . There are reviews in Stereophile magazine but I have no pictures of the actual drivers.

So as they are unatainable new, insensitive, and large I would hope modern drivers can sound as good.

Tom

tmblack said:
For some reason the full range ribbons from Apogee produce amazingly detailed sounds.

I suspiect they produce less harmonic distorition. Is there any dome drivers that produce that quality of sound?

Tom

To my ears, my C23/6 by Accuton sounds better than ribbons/magnetoplanar :)
The line source is not my cup of tea and ribbons are often affected by "metallic" colorations...no, thanks!

tmblack said:
Apogees long discontinued them but they were quit a sight in the late 80's..to 90's . There are reviews in Stereophile magazine but I have no pictures of the actual drivers.

So as they are unatainable new, insensitive, and large I would hope modern drivers can sound as good.

Tom

I looked up some information on these, now I remember them. But I don't think you will get domes full range, so why not look for speakers with ribbon tweeters if you like ribbon? What size speakers are you looking for?

Interesting, ill hop on this thread since its here, not a hi-jack just wanna follow this through. I am waffling between Hi-Vi Ribbon tweet 8II and a ring tweeter . This is to go with my wood impregnated Vifa woofers. So just here waiting to see if there is a tweeter that has a ribbon sound :)

Re: Re: Re: Are there any dome tweeters that sound like ribbons?

K-amps said:

How about ESL's? Are the Accutons better than those?

Hello K-Amp! ;)
I was a big fan of ESL's!
In the past i've played with the original Quad ESL and i've also spent a lot of time in ESL diying...
Electrostatics...i love them, i hate them...! :smash:
Now i'm using C79/6 and C23/6 and in certain parameters they are the more "ESL like" electrodynamics i've heard!
The bigger difference is in the radiation pattern and for my taste, a well designed electrodynamics loudspeakers produce a much better imaging then the most of planar...
Now i'm looking to C2 90/T6....mmmhhh...:magnet: :hbeat:

michaelpage26 said:
Yeah but as I have heard from other people old Quads don't have very good imaging, so it is not a point of reference for imaging.

...the subjectivity of listen...:D
In my opinion, the old Quad's provides a very good imaging related to other planar designs!
Don't suffers too much of "gigantism" for example, how many times we have listened guitars big as a curch organ? :whazzat:
About references...well, i have 11 years of experience in hi-fi as seller...;)
About planars i've listened any kind of speakers...Martin Logan, Acustat, Audiostatic, Sound Lab, Magneplanar, Eminent Technology, Apogee...:)

If you're looking for the Apogee ribbon sound and don't mind using short ribbons, you might look at the Aurum Cantus ribbons. The North Creek Music guy sells them (He used to work for Apogee). Here's a quote about it on his home page: "In September 2003, we became a factory authorized distributor of Aurum Cantus Ribbon Tweeters, one of only two authorized distributors in North America. Of all the ribbons we have tested over the years, only the Aurum Cantus units compare with the original Apogee ribbons I was working with in the early '90's." This is not a recommendation from me, as I have no experience in the area, just passing along information from someone who would know more about it than me.

2slow4u, how do you find the high frequency dispersion of the c23-6? Comparable to most other dome tweeters? I've been considering the c12-6 because it looks like it has some of the best hf dispersion out of all the dynamic tweeters.

azrix said:

2slow4u, how do you find the high frequency dispersion of the c23-6? Comparable to most other dome tweeters? I've been considering the c12-6 because it looks like it has some of the best hf dispersion out of all the dynamic tweeters.

Some people affirm that the C23/6 has a very good dispersion...
In my opinion this is simply aligned to that offered by many other very good tweeters wiith similar SD, absolutely good but not so "exceptional".
The most important virtues of the C23 are elsewhere...:D
About C12/6, for purely phisical matters i can imagine a better dispersion than C23/6.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.