side fired woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
whats a better way to mount woofer? pointing inward or outward
??? My only thought was if outward may get a little boomier.
was going vented on a hi vi f-12 and also wonder if placement of
vent was important in relationship with woofers postion?
Any help would be helpfull

if your talking inverted(so you see the magnet/motor) or normal there is a difference in box size and depending on the speaker I have heard more noise inverted.
Internally the port end should be at least its diameter away from anything and farther from the speaker. Externally it shouldnt be that close to the speaker either, unwritten rules sorta vary but I would say about 2 port diameters away.

thanks for the replys. My search did show a couple of designers
with the woofer pointed inward ie, NHT,ATLANTIC tech and other diy projects.my thoughts were if the woofer was pointed towards the wall I might get boominess from the corner of room. If pointed inward i may get too much vibration to turntable:(
I really wanted side firing woofer to keep cabinet slim! I was
wondering if there is any kit or or sights to help me with this problem Thanking you in advance

ps love your ideal plant 10 but a tad over budjet:xeye:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Originally posted by Cheap Shot
my thoughts were if the woofer was pointed towards the wall I might get boominess from the corner of room. If pointed inward i may get too much vibration to turntable:(

At the frequencies a side firing woofer runs at most of the energy is omni-directional, so inner or outer placement will be dependent of where the driver falls with respect to room nodes and with how the room reflects the stuff getting out at higher frequencies.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.