crossover caps. bipolar electros then solen then what?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Magura,

If PP is the dielectric, what is the use for oil and N?

Kevin,

Unfortunatly there are no big film and foil caps available for a resonable price.

If you can't get film/foil ones get metalized. Poliprop is a good dielectric, then you have PTFE and then GoreTex (foamed PTFE).

Solen are fine, but try to get the originals from SCR (who makes them for Solen) they are usualy cheaper.

Hugo

Magura,

What would be the ESL on those beasts?:eek:

The silver ones have oil probably to dissipate some heat, as they are usualy used in pulse or motor aplications, just like the used in tesla coils. The oil is not used as dielectic.

The siemens have N2 inside as dielectric or to prevent corona? Quite interesting... Do you know where I can find more info on them?

Regards,

Hugo

what's the cost on those bad boys (siemens)?

what about vacuum tubes? of course values for reas. cost will dictate bypass applications only..

here is one of the better cap tests I've seen (on more "mundane" capacitors):
http://home.versatel.nl/geenius/Cap.html
(note that the solen's are tied for last place..)

I've heard that the SA version of the Clarity cap is pretty good considering the cost:
http://www.diycable.com/main/default.php?cPath=35_41

Considering price, next step up would likely be the Mundorf Supremes (bottom of the page):
http://www.madisound.com/mundorfcaps.html

ScottG said:
what's the cost on those bad boys (siemens)?

I got my hands on 6 of them for something like 80 EUR a piece, but if you just go and buy them they are something like 350EUR a piece.

I bought those 6 for a PSU, later I realized that it was maybe a little too much to spend on a PSU, so I have decided to keep 2 of them for filters and that's it....the rest are up for grabs :)

Magura :)

After solen polyprop...the next step would be tinfoil in polyprop..ESR is 10 times lower.

More importantly they are much more "invisible" / neutral than normal polyprops....normal polyprops are a little edgy....I've tried Mündorf Silver in Oil but they are too neutral...all edgyness is gone...even the edginess of say a cimbal or brass instruments...I would have to say they are TOO neutral in my implementation and my system.

Bas Horneman said:
After solen polyprop...the next step would be tinfoil in polyprop..ESR is 10 times lower.

More importantly they are much more "invisible" / neutral than normal polyprops....normal polyprops are a little edgy....I've tried Mündorf Silver in Oil but they are too neutral...all edgyness is gone...even the edginess of say a cimbal or brass instruments...I would have to say they are TOO neutral in my implementation and my system.

was that in an electronics signal position or a crossover?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.