Help with 3 way Focal BOX design!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
A quick glance late at night and it looks good to me, although I don't know if we want to get into any baffle diffraction discussions here. In keeping to your budget, I would take the BobEllis advice previously and if you can't afford polys, consider bipolars, first for C4 and if you have to, C2, but probably not any of the other caps. But check the prices at Parts Express and Madisound first. I think Bob gave you some great advice and you do have a good starting point for your crossovers here.

A good rule of thumb is, series components are more important elements in a crossover network because the audio signal must pass directly through them. The parallel components (those not directly in the signal path) are less important. For example, C2 is in series and C4 is in parallel.

Just so you have an idea in the difference in cost of high value caps, a 68mdf Solen poly cap will run you $18.01. The same size cap in a bi-polar electrolytic will be $1.30. You can see why commerical builders will go cheap. In any case, if you plan on using any electrolytic caps, bypss them with a poly cap.

Components used in the zobel network have less importance than components used in the filter sections of the crossover. (The entire circuit is in parallel to the driver.)

Like someone said earlier, if you go with MIT poly caps & silver 14 guage coils you could spend thousands on the crossover. With the use of some electrolytics (bypassed of course) in non critical areas, Iron core coils on the high value inductors, you should be able to build this crossover within your budget.

There aren't that many parts there, why don't you do the adding yourself?

The big inductors are heavy, shipping them twice (to the builder then to you) will be expensive.

The price seems reasonable, given the high values of inductors and caps in the 200 Hz sections. C2 and C3 will be nearly $20 each in polypropylene. 10.6mH air core? What a beast! probably close to $30. Sounds like the offer is nearly free labor - what a deal!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.