this is me

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
an illustrator by profession.will be very happy if i can make a floorstander all by myself(well with a little help from the neighbourhood carpenter maybe). bought a old pair of sonodyne 770 3way(8"woofer, 4"mid, 1"dome tweeter). the cabinet is damaged by termite. would like to make a new enclosure for them. is it possiable to make a pair of floorstanders out of them (around 36" tall) and in the process make them sound better on the bass(around 35hz) and a little bit more presence on the tweeter side. i am happy with the mids.
:rolleyes:

New speaker project

Ok, I have dumped the idea of modifiying the sonodyne 770's. Have started a new project - a pair of tower MTM speaker with the woofer on the side. have already bought the mids (DW1421A) you will find them here http://www.dsmpl.com/prod_fset.htm. Currently looking for some tweeters. Only Dome tweeter I can get in Kolkata is Philips and Bolton. Can anybody tell me which is better? I personally like Bolton For its higher wattage. Is it a good idea to use Subwoofer drivers for the side?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The link doesn't work for me so I can't see the mids.

Philips tweeters are middle if the road, Bolton I haven't worked with. It's often just a matter of preference.

Subwoofer drivers are relatively inefficient and often require a plate amp or biamping to keep up. Also you have to make sure that the mid goes low enough to cover where the sub leaves off. Side mounting should be fine. Make them mirror image so you can reverse them if desired.

Thanks for the reply Cal Weldon
As for the broken link pls try this one www.dsmpl.com
Though I haven't bought the woofers yet I am a bit stuck with the x-over 'cause the mids and the tweeters does not come with TS parameteres. All I know about them is Mid: 50w rms 6ohms, tweeter 60w rms 8 ohms.
Does anybody know about good 10" woofer (100w) which is available in Kolkata:rolleyes:

New project

Well after a long thought I have started this project of building a 4-way tower - and its half done! I'm posting a pic of the design.
I will be back with the pictures of the project soon

Attachments

• box_final.jpg
    box_final.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 504
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
madman29 said:
Thanks for the reply Cal Weldon
As for the broken link pls try this one www.dsmpl.com
Though I haven't bought the woofers yet I am a bit stuck with the x-over 'cause the mids and the tweeters does not come with TS parameteres. All I know about them is Mid: 50w rms 6ohms, tweeter 60w rms 8 ohms.
Does anybody know about good 10" woofer (100w) which is available in Kolkata:rolleyes:

I really had to laugh when I viewed that website:

They've only gone and nicked the AudioTechnology/Skanning Flex Unit cutaway photo.

Compare the two:

http://www.dsmpl.com/home.html

http://www.audiotechnology.dk

Do the have no shame? Or maybe Skanning stole the picture from them :rofl:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.