OK now i really need opinions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2005, 01:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb OK now i really need opinions

So what i did was cancel my order ( no refund just a hold and credit ) from supplier here in Canada for a bunch of 8 inchers i was getting. I read ALOT on here and realized that all the stuff that i had retained from the late 80's early 90's wasn't cutting it anymore.

The idea i have is still to make an open baffle line array. I listen to an eclectic mix of music from classic rock to hip hop.

i.e Yes Floyd Zeppelin Genesis (with Gabriel its not Genesis without him ) uriah Heep ..... 80's ....90's Hip Hop

I read a cool but dense white paper on Line Arrays but my comprehension is still not complete till i build one. SO !

I am going to get 12 of these MG18WK0908 Vifa speakers and 2 of the LCY110 Ribbon tweets with my credit.

I really want to try the line array so the question is, DO i go a sealed array ? An open baffle array ? Wide baffle ? Thin baffle ?

I will go with whatever the more experienced guys think will sound the best in general.

I have active x-over and multi channel capabilities.

P.S ... i dont build with MDF i use 3/4 and up white Pine . This stuff has interesting sonic energy characteristics.

Anyway as before thanks for any input, i want to order these Vifa's on MOnday if i finally settle on something.

P/N Size VC Type dB W Z Re Le Ce Fs Vas Qms Qes Qts Xmax Cutout
MG18WK0908 18cm 25mm Fiber 87 60 8 5.9 .88 24 34 45 2.0 .42 .35 5.5 146

IF THIS COMES OUT THREE TIMES PLEASE DELETE THE SPARES ADMIN. I THINK THE IMAGE I WAS TRYING TO ATTACH WAS A PROBLEM> SORRY
Old 30th April 2005, 01:35 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I think you need to decide what type of array is suitable for your room before you determine whether these speakers are suitable.
An OB needs a lot of power, requires specific room placement, and you need to decide if you're going to EQ it electronically (a la Linkwitz) - better for lower Q drivers, or go for a higher Q driver & less electronics (but wider baffle).

With a Qts of .35, I think the Vifas are going to require some electronic EQ, but I've never used them...

Cheers,
Pete McK
Old 30th April 2005, 02:15 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteMcK
I think you need to decide what type of array is suitable for your room before you determine whether these speakers are suitable.
An OB needs a lot of power, requires specific room placement, and you need to decide if you're going to EQ it electronically (a la Linkwitz) - better for lower Q drivers, or go for a higher Q driver & less electronics (but wider baffle).

With a Qts of .35, I think the Vifas are going to require some electronic EQ, but I've never used them...

Cheers,
Pete McK
I should have included that info dude my fault. I have DBX and Rane active processors so x-over and EQ is covered. I am eventually going to do the Tube amp thing when i learn more to safely build decent sized mono blocks. for now will 200 watt QSC amps do ?? The room is 11 by 18. If i am forced to go closed i will, the idea of an OB just sounded cool
Old 30th April 2005, 01:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

are you going with 6 woofers and 1 tweeter per side??i"ve been wanting to hear some line arrays in the toronto area as i want to build a full line with 8 6.5" silver flute and 8 planer tweeters.but never hearing a line array,it's a big investment!!would love to hear how yours turn out.

glen
Old 30th April 2005, 02:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ya once i get these done no matter which array arrangement. You are more then welcome to hear them. As long as you are not wanted by anyone in law enforcement. We nerds have to protect ourselves

Hide this!Advertise here!