OK now i really need opinions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So what i did was cancel my order ( no refund just a hold and credit ) from supplier here in Canada for a bunch of 8 inchers i was getting. I read ALOT on here and realized that all the stuff that i had retained from the late 80's early 90's wasn't cutting it anymore.

The idea i have is still to make an open baffle line array. I listen to an eclectic mix of music from classic rock to hip hop.

i.e Yes Floyd Zeppelin Genesis (with Gabriel its not Genesis without him ) uriah Heep ..... 80's ....90's Hip Hop

I read a cool but dense white paper on Line Arrays but my comprehension is still not complete till i build one. SO !

I am going to get 12 of these MG18WK0908 Vifa speakers and 2 of the LCY110 Ribbon tweets with my credit.

I really want to try the line array so the question is, DO i go a sealed array ? An open baffle array ? Wide baffle ? Thin baffle ?

I will go with whatever the more experienced guys think will sound the best in general.

I have active x-over and multi channel capabilities.

P.S ... i dont build with MDF i use 3/4 and up white Pine . This stuff has interesting sonic energy characteristics.

Anyway as before thanks for any input, i want to order these Vifa's on MOnday if i finally settle on something.

P/N Size VC Type dB W Z Re Le Ce Fs Vas Qms Qes Qts Xmax Cutout
MG18WK0908 18cm 25mm Fiber 87 60 8 5.9 .88 24 34 45 2.0 .42 .35 ±5.5 146

IF THIS COMES OUT THREE TIMES PLEASE DELETE THE SPARES ADMIN. I THINK THE IMAGE I WAS TRYING TO ATTACH WAS A PROBLEM> SORRY

I think you need to decide what type of array is suitable for your room before you determine whether these speakers are suitable.
An OB needs a lot of power, requires specific room placement, and you need to decide if you're going to EQ it electronically (a la Linkwitz) - better for lower Q drivers, or go for a higher Q driver & less electronics (but wider baffle).

With a Qts of .35, I think the Vifas are going to require some electronic EQ, but I've never used them...

Cheers,
Pete McK

PeteMcK said:
I think you need to decide what type of array is suitable for your room before you determine whether these speakers are suitable.
An OB needs a lot of power, requires specific room placement, and you need to decide if you're going to EQ it electronically (a la Linkwitz) - better for lower Q drivers, or go for a higher Q driver & less electronics (but wider baffle).

With a Qts of .35, I think the Vifas are going to require some electronic EQ, but I've never used them...

Cheers,
Pete McK

I should have included that info dude my fault. I have DBX and Rane active processors so x-over and EQ is covered. I am eventually going to do the Tube amp thing when i learn more to safely build decent sized mono blocks. for now will 200 watt QSC amps do ?? The room is 11 by 18. If i am forced to go closed i will, the idea of an OB just sounded cool ;)

are you going with 6 woofers and 1 tweeter per side??i"ve been wanting to hear some line arrays in the toronto area as i want to build a full line with 8 6.5" silver flute and 8 planer tweeters.but never hearing a line array,it's a big investment!!would love to hear how yours turn out.

glen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.