ESS AMT foil damaged - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2002, 11:52 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Unhappy ESS AMT foil damaged

I have an older pair of ess air motion tranformers.
While trying to put them into a case, I pulled the wire a bit too hard, so that the foil is now broken near the connectors at 2 points.
Does anybody know how I could possibly mend this? Soldering is not possible. Is there anything you can use to connect aluminum foil (or whatever it is)?

If it is not possible, maybe somebody knows if there are replacement foils for these (old) speakers available? they are from the "Performance Series 5". The foil itself is about 33x75mm.
Old 1st September 2002, 07:18 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default WIRING?

anybody knows how they're wired?
I found means to reconnect the strips, but end with either zero ohms or no connection.
I once had a little bit of sound, but very weak
and don't remember how I did it

# | | | | | | | | |----------wire1
# | | | | | | | | |
# | | | | | | | | |
# | | | | | | | | |
# | | | | | | | | |
# | | | | | | | | |
# | | | | | | | | |
# | | | | | | | | |
# | | | | | | | | |
# | | | | | | | | |
# | | | | | | | | |
# | | | | | | | | |----------wire2

^
|
broad strip

where are there connections between strips?

wire1 and wire2 can't possibly be connected to the same strip! but the other (working) one looks like this. is there an isolation between 2 strips?
I can't see anything else I can connect the lower
wire to

are all visible strips really 2 layers isolated from each other?

I thought the current should have the same direction on all strips?

please somebody explain this to me
Old 2nd September 2002, 05:30 AM   #3
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'd start with the Patents:

<a href="http://164.195.100.11/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1='3636278'.WKU.&OS=PN/3636278&RS=PN/3636278">US Patent 3,636,278: ACOUSTIC TRANSDUCER WITH A DIAPHRAGM FORMING A PLURALITY OF ADJACENT NARROW AIR SPACES OPEN ONLY AT ONE SIDE WITH THE OPEN SIDES OF ADJACENT AIR SPACES ALTERNATINGLY FACING IN OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS</a> Heil, Oskar <hr width="95%" align=center><a href="http://164.195.100.11/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1='3832499'.WKU.&OS=PN/3832499&RS=PN/3832499">US Patent 3,832,499: ELECTRO-ACOUSTIC TRANSDUCER</a> Heil, Oskar <hr width="95%" align=center>

You will need a tif viewer like <a href="http://www.alternatiff.com/">Alternatif</a>

Also have a look at <a href="http://layneaudio.hypermart.net/prod03.htm">Layne Audio: Speaker Parts and Repair</a> Scrool Down to ESS.

Hope this helps

Regards
James
Old 2nd September 2002, 02:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I don't know if it the correct type of transducer for your speaker but there is usually one up for auction on Ebay.
Old 3rd September 2002, 01:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The European distributor is Audio International in Frankfurt. They don't have a web page, but the phone number is in most issues of HobbyHifi or Klang und Ton. I believe it is 069/503570.

Hifisound in Münster also carry AMT as well as replacement diaphraghms. Their link is www.hifisound.de.

What kind of project are you working on? Is it the small or the large AMT?

Greetings,

Eric
Old 3rd September 2002, 04:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default thanks

...for the answers.

i give up repairing them and will order the replacement foil from Achenbach in Friesenheim. it's 90 euros, but probably worth it.

this are old speakers from the Performance Series. I only have the 2 speakers and have yet to find a project to use them.
does anybody know something simple?
(I have never built speakers before, only electronics)
Old 3rd September 2002, 07:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have a simple question, how do you change the foil for the AMT´s and how do you know the right polarity of the cables ?
Old 3rd September 2002, 07:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

if you know the high-cut-off frequency of the lower band speaker (traceable with freq-sweep from cd, pc or freq-generator + micro and pc-software or freq-analyzer), apply cut-off frequency to both speakers (!!! both connected via x-over!!!) holding micro in the middle between both speakers.
Connection with loudest signal is the right way.
Otherwise they are phase-opposed and will cancel each other.

X-over insertion is important because x-over may turn phase 180 degrees (changing + to - or red to black)
Old 3rd September 2002, 08:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Cool Heil Information

Hello Everyone,
Here is a link that might have some information you can use.The site even has some projects using DIY drivers.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/neilan...il/DIYHeil.htm

Sincerely,
Cambe
Old 4th September 2002, 07:11 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Projects

Well, there is the AMT-V and AMT-V active project from Klang und Ton but looking at the impulse response, these designs muck up the excellent temperoral performance that can be achieved with the AMT.

I just visited Audio International in Frankfurt and listened to their I.2 speakers. These are a smaller version of the time-corrected I.3 speakers that were tested in the current issue of Hobby Hifi.

The sound is increadibly transparent. On the other hand, it jumps at you and I can imagine it will be too aggressive in the long run. I also listened to a smaller design by them with the AMT2. It was not as spectacular but, being more laid back, might also have its virtues.

Anyway, the I.2 should be pretty easy to make, it consisting mainly of a bass reflex box that holds two 17 cm Excel magnesium membrane woofers. The AMT 1 simply sits on top. The woofers are a special version made exclusively for Audio International. I think they are 230 Euros each, so if you already have the AMTs, you should figure about 1300 for four woofers, the wood and the XO.

Eric

Hide this!Advertise here!