A padawan needs guidance here - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2005, 05:56 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

On a side note, you are something of a TL guru. How stupid would a MtM 10 - LCY110 - 10 alignment be. Hell i might not even need to go with 2 10's. SIngle 10 and the LCY . its Fs is like 1100 and the Peerless 10 starts falling apart at 1800 there abouts.

I did like the few TL's i have heard they all sound small though.

I am going to stop talking till i SOber up a bit. Reading i will continue to do. No more talking though.
Old 30th April 2005, 06:51 AM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Madmike2
The current dilemma floating in my head purculating its math around is a series of SIX 6.5 inch Vifa's LCY tweeter 6 inches north of center on a 19.5 in wide baffle 54 inches tall.
A baffle that wide is not going to go really low, and the 6 165mm drivers are not going to have enuff volume displacement to compensate much. What you might consider here is an MTM open baffle mid-tweeter (XOed just above where the baffle starts to roll off naturally) coupled to a box with the other 4 midwoofers in it.

I got a box of 20 PSB 165mm drivers OEMed for PSB and have been noodling for sometime on how to best use them, and an arrangement similar to what i suggested is where i've gotten too (i actually have 1 pair of the midrange version of the P13 to use as a mid, and i'll use as many of the larger woofers as i can find in the bottom -- probably 4 or 6/side)

dave
Old 30th April 2005, 06:56 AM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Madmike2
MtM 10 - LCY110 - 10 alignment be.
What is an LCY110?

Just this week i was given consideration to reconfiguring a pair of Dynaco A50s into an MTM... 2 10" SEAS alnicos, XOed at 1k to a 38 mm SEAS tweeter.

dave
Old 30th April 2005, 07:14 AM   #14
jdybnis is offline jdybnis  United States
diyAudio Member

http://e-speakers.com/products/lcy-components.html
Old 30th April 2005, 07:15 AM   #15
jdybnis is offline jdybnis  United States
diyAudio Member

What order crossover are you using on that tweeter to cross at 1k?
Old 30th April 2005, 07:23 AM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jdybnis
What order crossover are you using on that tweeter to cross at 1k?
Dynaco used a 1st order XO... and on the A50 actually put a low pass on the woofer.

below is the impedance curve of the tweeter & the tweeter + XO (with all 5 level settings)

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif dynaa50-xo-t-levels-imp.gif (16.0 KB, 114 views)
Old 30th April 2005, 07:24 AM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

and the XO -- i haven't yet measured the choke

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif dyna-a50-xo-map.gif (9.3 KB, 128 views)
Old 30th April 2005, 07:26 AM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jdybnis
http://e-speakers.com/products/lcy-components.html
Thanx...

Big budget those. I think if madmike is really interested in being frugal he should forget about those....

dave
Old 30th April 2005, 08:26 AM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
Big budget those. I think if madmike is really interested in being frugal he should forget about those....
I'll retract that... the e-speakers site is one of those poorly written ones that blows up in my primary browser... when i clicked LCY i got to a page with ribbons costing 1000s of dollars.

Went in again with the backup and see these are 200 USD/each ... still pricey thou. The Aurum Cantus G2si is more approachable (& ironically for tweeter use the smaller/less expensive ribbons are actually better suited to the job)

dave
Old 30th April 2005, 01:53 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

See thats what i wanted to hear Dave go cheaper.

I just sat down and did a rough recalculation of the lower frequency wave propogation off a resonant baffle arrangement from the 6.5 inch and i get nearly 35 inches wide for the 6.5 inch. Its probably not right but i am assuming a set frequency times the speed of sound times the drivers SD for a length. Then picturing a 'launch' off the baffle and working on TL theory except i am not aiming for 1/4 i am aiming for 1/16. My brain hurts. I need something to hit.

Anyway, the narrow baffle cant launch low frequency waves so they just wrap around the baffle and meet the back waves for NF cancelation. Is this correct? Is that why i need a wider baffle ?

I got the money there to spend. Tell me what you think would work in detail and ill do it. Think of it as your experiment that you dont have to pay for .... BIg sound great sound stage 1300 dollars available and your own personal lab assistant who comes with a side of Woodworker downstairs.

Hide this!Advertise here!