Human Tweeters?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
tmblack said:
I have the EPI 1" inverted dome "air-spring" tweeter that is hard plastic, don't recall a paper cone model.

Is there any data on that one?

No data. Some pictures thou.... i'm surprised i don't have any pictures of the 1st generation tweeter, but what follows are pics of three generations following that, starting with the paper ones i like.

dave

Attachments

• epi-paper-masonite.jpg
    epi-paper-masonite.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 398
planet10 said:

No data. Some pictures thou.... i'm surprised i don't have any pictures of the 1st generation tweeter, but what follows are pics of three generations following that, starting with the paper ones i like.

Was that tweeter designed by Winston Burhoe? Except for the dome, it looks identical to the Energy 22 tweeter which was a Burhoe design. I like the sound of the Energy 22 tweeter a lot, but it has a +4dB spike at 4.5K. Possibly because it's a flared dome.

tmblack said:
EPI was founded in 1970 by Winslow Burhoe. They are all adoptations of the original design.

has anyone measured their most popular tweeter? It boasted linearity, low distortion, wide bandwidth for its time.

Tom

No, I haven't measured one... but given that I have a TON of those suckers, I SHOULD haul a couple of both the first gen (paper cone, masonite flange) and second gen (phenolic-with-resin dome, black plastic flange with decorative trim ring and EPI logo) EPI tweeters over to the LMS/LEAP setup and see how they do. Even got a pair of EPI M110 enclosures (we use 'em to test drivers) over there already to bolt 'em into!!

Regards,
Gordon.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
GordonW said:
I'd be willing to trade a pair of EPI or the similar Genesis tweeters for a pair of working EPI or Genesis 8" woofers of the same era. Need the woofers MUCH more than the tweeters...

I've not seen a woofer that doesn't need reconing (or has already been reconed -- it is interesting that the already reconed ones tend to be less valluable than those in need)

Gordon -- do you have any of the really early ones that looked more like Advent tweeters with the raised masonite board? (they exist -- at least in my mind)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.