No one interested in tangband's new midrange? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2005, 10:31 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to blackreplica Send a message via AIM to blackreplica Send a message via MSN to blackreplica Send a message via Yahoo to blackreplica
Default No one interested in tangband's new midrange?

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w3-1231sh.htm

This was posted by someone else in the fullrange forum but it didnt get much replies, which kinda makes sense since the specs make it more suited to a midrange unit as opposed to a fullranger. I suppose the plus point is the fact you can stick this thing in tiny enclosures of 0.3 litres and get an F3 of about 250Hz.

Just thought i'd post a heads up. I emailed TB and was told the speaker costs 30USD each, and its not a bad price considering that its sports a cast basket, titanium cone, underhung motor, rubber surround, and neodymium magnet? Not to mention it being capable of playing a really large range of frequencies smoothly with breakup occuring at the treshold of audibility (15KHz). Xmax at 1.25mm is not too shabby. Its no fullranger like the 871 but as a midrange unit i can imagine it would be a lot better?

Cheers
Old 24th April 2005, 02:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Nappylady Send a message via AIM to Nappylady Send a message via MSN to Nappylady Send a message via Yahoo to Nappylady
Those specs are awesome, and would fit my needs perfectly--but only if it were sensitive to 94dB+. 88dB just won't cut it for me.

*shrug* Home audio guys aren't usually scared off by low-efficiency speakers tho... you're right; more people should be interested in this driver.
Old 24th April 2005, 02:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to blackreplica Send a message via AIM to blackreplica Send a message via MSN to blackreplica Send a message via Yahoo to blackreplica
Yeah the efficiency was a big plus too (compared to your typical ful rangers: the aura ns3 and the hi-vi bs3). But then again this isnt a full ranger so its kinda moot hehehe

OK i'm not very well versed in T/S Specs but i did a bit of comparison and doesnt the inductance seem really really low at just 0.09mH? Does that imply something about the high frequency extension?
Old 24th April 2005, 06:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Nappylady Send a message via AIM to Nappylady Send a message via MSN to Nappylady Send a message via Yahoo to Nappylady
Low inductance can indicate better high-end response.
Old 24th April 2005, 08:13 PM   #5
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Titanium Diaphragn? Cool!

I am scared of the +15dB lump at the top end of the frequency response. This does look like a good driver is you were to use multiples of them becasuse of the 6 Ohm impedance.
Old 24th April 2005, 08:56 PM   #6
Lionel is offline Lionel  France
diyAudio Member

I agree with you. If the spec is ok it's a nice midrange and not a real full range according to the TB's documentation.
A MTM or TMM with some 90 dB tweeter and woofer ?

What about price ?

All the best,
Lionel
Old 24th April 2005, 09:01 PM   #7
Feandil is offline Feandil  United States
Account Disabled

looks like a 3-way line arrays dream speaker

where can these be purchased at?
Old 25th April 2005, 12:49 AM   #8
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

Does TangBand lies when doing FR curves? Because this one seems too good to be true with one constructive breakup mode only!

This driver is perfect for a three-way design.
Old 25th April 2005, 12:56 AM   #9
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

I believe it is a true graph, it is just not very accurate. Look at the scale at the side, that graph moves about a dB per pixel! It should have 60dB at the bottom of the graph, not 0dB.
Old 25th April 2005, 02:55 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi guys

So it seems this is a fantastic speaker as i thought. The price as 30 USD. thats the price by buying direct from tangband(i emailed them to ask about it). I tried looking around for online retailers who stock this speaker but apparently only tangband has them. I did ask to verify the xmax figure of 1.25mm (Because most of their full rangers, including some of the other titanium cone models, have only xmax of 0.5mm) but they said the specs are all correct.

I really think that they would make fantastic midranges. wish i had the money to make a line array with them! Personally, i think that the extra 15 USD over the w3-871 is worth it considering you are getting a titanium cone, cast frame, and underhung motor, not to mention better xmax!

Hide this!Advertise here!