Driver materials integration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just purchased a WR125S and a pair of Usher tweeters, to be integrated into my existing system. I just realized that I will now have:

- doped aluminum cone sub drivers
- polypropylene woofer
- paper cone mid
- cloth dome tweeter

Should I be concerned at all about this hodge-podge of materials?

It may feel right to have matching drivers, but it doesn't help the sound to match better. Look at high-end speakers and you will see that they often have a wide variety of driver materials mixed together. How a driver is constructed is of no importance compared to how it performs (unless appearance is a big factor of course :D).

You may find that certain drivers do sound a certain way but nothing that would be considered bad. For instance you may see people saying it sounds plasticy or like metal. Chances are it doesnt sound like plastic or metal but just has characteristics associated with those cones.

Metal cones dont sound like metal, they can sound slightly artificial if crossed over too high and can sound tremendously revealing and clear.

PLastic cones can sound a bit muted and boomfy (I know, I know my way of describing something I hear), which could be called the plastic sound.

Now when it comes to putting drivers together usually you will just hear the qualities of the drivers but not a missmash of the two.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.