The A4 monitor, best mini monitor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

After searching for a very good full range mini monitor for do it yourself, I came on the scan speak A4 monitor.
Now I'm planning to build the A4 monitor which uses scan speak drivers.

But after searching over the net I 've found that there are two versions of the A4.
The first version is the version from Electuur Dec 1999 which use the drivers:
Bass 15W8530K00
High D2904/9800
It is a 8 ohm version with specification from 40 to 22Khz see:

http://www.audiocomponents.nl/speakers/scanspeak/reference/beschrijving/text-a4monitor.htm

The new version of the A4 monitor use the following drivers:
Bass 15W4531/G00
High D2905/9700
It is a 4 ohm version see

http://www.speaker-en-co.nl/

Doe anyone know the difference in sound between the old and the neuw version??

The specification of the new version are also 40 to 22Khz, but the tweeter D2905/9700 goes to 30Khz. Is this a type error? Or are there done unsufficient measurements on the new version?

Is there also a new 8 ohm version?

:bigeyes:

Hello Kurt,

I had the same question, and called audio components in holland (where i live). The answer i got was "that some people heard that the original 2904-9800 tweeter sounds like a metal-dome (little harsh, on the bright side) and asked for a soft-dome-design (filterdesign)". The developer himself assured me that "people couldn't hear it at all in case of the scan speak metal dome". And " The 9800 is still one of the worlds best dome-tweeters!" It makes him a little bit smiling of the prejudgement of people towards metal-dome's. "But hey", he says,"if that is what customer wants, thats what they get!" so he dveloped a soft-dome version. You can imagine that he would have used that in the first place when he designed the A4, if that tweet would've sound better than the metal-dome.

I know that the A4 monitor by many (proffesional) people called "the best MINI-monitor of the world".

Greetz Wowly

I dont think I have ever seen one person say that the scan metal dome sounds metallic. Infact quite the opposite, they all comment on how un metallic it sounds!

I dont think you have to worry about this.

Build which one you feel confortable with, I use the 97 and could not be more pleased with them, they sound great.

Many thanks for the answers.
I like to build the 8 ohm version because I can put my center speaker in parallel so I become 4 ohm.
When i build the 4 ohm then the can not connect the center speaker because the parallel resistance will be to low for my amplifier.

I don't think that there is a 8 ohm version which used the D2905/9700 tweeter. Am I right?

Kind regards;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.