Scan Speak 18W/4531G00 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2005, 05:53 AM   #1
A183RT is offline A183RT  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Smile Scan Speak 18W/4531G00

Hi....
I have a question about building a new speaker I have a pair of scan speak speaker 18W/4531G00. I'm planning to build a speaker box for them. For the tweeters, I haven't decided yet. Any suggestion for the tweeters?
Also does anybody have experience in using this drivers??
I also really appreciate if anybody can inform me about the dimension for the box of these drivers
Thank you very much

Albert
Old 19th April 2005, 09:47 AM   #2
Geenius is offline Geenius  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I used them in this project: Optimo . They will also work with the Vifa XT25TG30-04
Old 11th October 2005, 09:52 PM   #3
kamppi is offline kamppi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Optimo looks very interesting. SS ring radiator is quite expensive, but you mentioned that Optimo will work with XT25TG30-04 as well. SS ringradiator is 3 db more sensitive than Vifa ring. Do I need to do any modifications into the crossover, if I want to use Vifa ringradiator instead of SS ringradiator?
Old 12th January 2006, 11:32 PM   #4
cougarz is offline cougarz  Italy
diyAudio Member

Here is a variation of ULTIMO speakers, called PENULTMO with vifa xt tweeter

http://www.audiokit.it/ITAENG/KitDif...imo/Ultimo.htm

He says just to remove some component from crossover and place a 0.9 mm spacer between original drawing and xt tweeter to make upgrade possible in the future
Bye
Paolo (ITALY)
Old 13th January 2006, 10:13 AM   #5
Geenius is offline Geenius  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kamppi
Optimo looks very interesting. SS ring radiator is quite expensive, but you mentioned that Optimo will work with XT25TG30-04 as well. SS ringradiator is 3 db more sensitive than Vifa ring. Do I need to do any modifications into the crossover, if I want to use Vifa ringradiator instead of SS ringradiator?
Here's the new url:

Optimo

All that needs to be changed is resistor R1 to something smaller like 1 ohm - its also a matter of taste.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 13th January 2006, 09:29 PM   #6
kamppi is offline kamppi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the answers

I am not really familiar with series cross overs, but now I have learned something. I have understood that the bass what SS 18W-4531G00 can produce is quite good and now it is time to try this driver.
Old 17th March 2010, 01:44 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I know this is a way old thread but speakers don't change much. I'm in the middle of building a large full range speaker. Currently I'm working on the tweeter/midbass cab. It will eventually be mated to a larger cabinet with an as of yet choosen 12" and 15" (much like the passlabs sr1's in design. Tony's Galactica in sound? maybe?) Currently im looking at the SS 9700's matched with the 18W/4531G00 in a 22liter cabinet (separate from the woofer cabinet.) This being my first project I was wondering if using Gee's crossover above would be a good place to start. I figure I can test it out full range until I get the bass portion build and then work out the high pass later. Any ideas suggestions? I know it's an ambitious project for a first timer but so far its coming along really well.
Old 17th March 2010, 10:46 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi, take a look at these projects, they may give you some usefull ideas:

Jensen-

SP95-98

I also built a large full-range, using SS D2905/9700+15W4531G in one cabinet, and a 26W8861T in another. Picture attached. The 9700 is anyway a pretty good tweeter, but I would like to upgrade to SS ring radiator (R2904/7000). And yes, it is a bit wee expensive...

Regards,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05706_1.JPG (170.4 KB, 374 views)
Old 17th March 2010, 01:06 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

First off, that's a great looking set of speakers you have there! For a first time project I'm trying to keep the price somewhat sensible so I settled on the 9700 :-) 4eems like a good mid-high quality driver. I actually have spent a lot of time checking out the Jenson, used it's volume and port calculations for my cab. It uses the 8ohm driver though with the 9900 and I'm just not sure about that 120mf cap being used. There are many designs that are close to mine but the crossovers vary dramatically. I'm just not sure where to start. Was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Maybe something similar to the optimo above (compinsated for the tweet resistance and sensitivity?) Or just a simple 1st order at 2500-2700 for starters? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 17th March 2010, 02:42 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks!
For a first project, I’d choose something rather simple, and “understandable”! I used a low-Q 2nd order + L-pad for the tweeter (9700), and a first-order + impedance compensation for the 15W, and the result was great (both objective and subjective qualities). I believe the result for the 18W would be quite similar. I’m not using any high-pass for the 15W – I just let it roll-off naturally.

Regarding the bass, it turned out to be a bit trickier, because my room is a bit boomy, and the side-firing, near-the-floor woofer didn’t helped much, although the cabinets are sealed...
However, a low-pass, low-Q 2nd-order + notch filter gave a fair result (crossed at about 120Hz), and I’m now happy with it, although I’m thinking in replacing the 26W for a 12’’ Perless XXLS 835017, and bi-amp it, plus a LT to extend the FR down to 25Hz or so…Let’s see what I can get!

Regards

Hide this!Advertise here!