Sufficient power for the Fountek JP-2.0?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have my current line arrays wired up, powered by a Sonic Impact T-Amp for the time being. As they are now, they SCREAM with that little amp. This amp is the one I use with my computer setup and will be returning it there once I get a dedicated amp for my line arrays. My arrays consist of 10 5" Vifa BC woofers and a single Fountek JP-2.0 ribbon tweeter. I'm using the Behringer DCX2496 as an active crossover, and am still fiddling around with crossover points and slopes.

I'd like to keep the budget low on the amp for the tweeters and was wondering if I *could* get away with another T-Amp for them? As they are now, I have to pad the tweeter down 2db to match the line's sensitivity (roughly 96db) and only have the T-Amp up half-way before it hurts my ears. I'd hate to spend a few hundred on an amp to only have to feed the ribbons a few watts of power. Since I've read a few reviews about the T-Amps lackluster bass response, I was considering getting a dedicated 2-channel just for the woofers. If I do, how much power do you feel I'll need? My current speakers are 88db and are hooked up to a 150w amp. I doubt I'll need more than 10-20 watts for these arrays and was wondering what you guys thought?

A friend of mine does have a Harman Kardon PA2000 4-channel amp that does 4x45w (8 ohm) that he wants $150 for. My arrays are 3.6 ohm with the woofers so I'm curious as to how it will handle them. I'm sure it will be fine.

Thanks!

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
with my system I use the SI for my mids and tweeters. They are about 96dB efficient.
They are fine for this except for the loudest playing, and sound a lot better than the gainclones in this situation IMHO.

I use a Brian GT gainclone for my woofers- they are a bit less efficient
maybe 93 dB. so more power is good, and in the bass the 'clones sound fantastic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.