Dayton RS project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2005, 10:45 PM   #1
ingrast is offline ingrast  Uruguay
diyAudio Member

Default Dayton RS project

I am curious to try a 2 way ported system featuring Dayton's RS series, including the new aluminium tweeter (RS 28A-4). As for specs, this system could outperform European configurations costing twice more, perhaps even more.

It should be wise thought, to check previous experience with these products, be in combination as intended, or separate (woofer and tweeter combined with diferent brands).

If someone has tried, I am eager to learn what he / she has found.

As for woofer selection, I am agonizing on 8" (RS225) vs. 7" (RS180) or even 6" (RS150). I've found here threads on this subject, but oriented to open baffle, MTM and dipole configurations. I am planning a basic woofer+tweeter bookshelf. The smaller units not only are less costly but better amenable to crossing over while providing lower max power and not that good low end.
The 8" is good for 80W and goes down to 27Hz, but will be tricky to cross over even electronically (biamped) as I am planning (third - fourth order about 1600Hz).

Any reflections / experiences on these issues will be highly appreciated.

Rodolfo
Old 18th April 2005, 10:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Lots of people working on designs like this over at Parts Express's Tech Talk forum:

http://www.pesupport.com/cgi-bin/config.pl
Old 18th April 2005, 11:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the tip Mazeroth, I went over the thread but found no direct reference for the proposed combination.

I was aware of the Cryolite design, but the Neo tweeter (and smaller woofer) make for a lower powered system as for what I am looking for. A 80W woofer and 100 W tweeter crossed at about 1600 Hz are more like it. Looks very good if it can be worked out right in an MT configuration.

Looks both the Dayton RS woofers and new aluminium tweeter will be making quite a stirr.

Keeping tuned.

Rodolfo

Edit: I am aware a MTM design makes more sense, much more so given the paralelled woofers match the tweeter's 4 ohm impedance, but it takes one more driver ...
Old 19th April 2005, 12:03 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I made some small speakers with the rs150 and the Pt2 myself.
I must add that I modified the Pt2, it's a true gem now (soundwise).

Check this link for some pics, http://www.symfocity.demon.nl/DIY_20050007.html

It's at the DUTCH DIY Audio 2005, I think most people were impressed by the sound of these cheap units.
Old 19th April 2005, 01:42 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Nice gallery bombardon73 !!

Could you point to the project mentioned, just to be sure (had no time to check all the possible photos in large format)?

Rodolfo
Old 19th April 2005, 02:00 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Dayton RS project

Quote:
Originally posted by ingrast
I am curious to try a 2 way ported system featuring Dayton's RS series, including the new aluminium tweeter (RS 28A-4). As for specs, this system could outperform European configurations costing twice more, perhaps even more.

It should be wise thought, to check previous experience with these products, be in combination as intended, or separate (woofer and tweeter combined with diferent brands).

If someone has tried, I am eager to learn what he / she has found.

As for woofer selection, I am agonizing on 8" (RS225) vs. 7" (RS180) or even 6" (RS150). I've found here threads on this subject, but oriented to open baffle, MTM and dipole configurations. I am planning a basic woofer+tweeter bookshelf. The smaller units not only are less costly but better amenable to crossing over while providing lower max power and not that good low end.
The 8" is good for 80W and goes down to 27Hz, but will be tricky to cross over even electronically (biamped) as I am planning (third - fourth order about 1600Hz).

Any reflections / experiences on these issues will be highly appreciated.

Rodolfo

i'm interested with this too. i want to know how it can stack up to some seas designs.
Old 19th April 2005, 02:03 AM   #7
RJ is offline RJ  United States
diyAudio Member

JonMarsh has a couple on his site. Check out the first two sticky posts.
http://www.htguide.com/forum/forumdisplay.php4?f=6
Old 19th April 2005, 02:58 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

bombardon73,

Is there any way you can give me some details as to how you modified the PT2? I'm in the process of designing a pair of line arrays with the same drivers you used, going with 9 RS150s and 8 PT2B-8s (newer ones). Also, what slope and crossover freq. did you use?

Thanks!
Old 19th April 2005, 03:15 AM   #9
ucla88 is offline ucla88  Tahiti
diyAudio Member

Hi Rodolfo,

I've looked at these drivers extensively. I'm working on my 2 way design.

I would look strongly at jonmarsh's design's. He's a top notch designer. I've only heard one of his designs, but it was excellent. That was with the xt25 and a hi-vi. With better drivers, I suspect the sound will be that much better.

A two way MT or MTM with the 7's is the safest bet. If you want a sealed 8-well that's what I'm working on, but it will be 2-3 months before I have that finished.

I would not use the RS150 unless it was with a sub, in a 3 way, or at very low levels. These 5 inch drivers don't do full range well. It's not the RS's fault-the W15 doesn't do substantiatively better either.

Mark K

PS if you haven't seen my tests, look at www.ncdiyaudio.com under Mark's page.
Old 19th April 2005, 04:51 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

how would the dayton mtm stack up to zaphs seas l18 design?

Hide this!Advertise here!