Fixing the R30

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought some Polk R30's when they were onsale heavily at CC (150 dollars for the pair). Unfortunatly, they are the system I listen to 90% of the time, since my big speakers can't fit in my little apartment. I think that I could get some better performance out of them if I upgrade them a little bit.

First, the Polk R30 is a 2 way design consisting of a 6.5" woofer, .75" tweeter, and 2 inch (could be a bit more), port.

I checked out the x-over and it appears to be a second order, other than that, I don't know the x-over points, however it was made with cheap components, and very small gauge wire inductors, which I am sure rob performace (they were 18 or smaller gauge).

I have never designed an x-over before, but I thought this would be a great place to start because these speakers are relativly cheap. I was thinking I could measure the theile small parameters of them, and then design an xover for them (I was thinking 4th order L-R arrangement since it's phase is shifted 360 degrees), and a zobel, could really get some more performance out of them.

Any other mods I should concider. They have no foam or damping of any sort in them that I could see.

Well, I am not going to be using an EQ, but I just thought that I could suck some more performance out of them instead of buying/building a whole new system.

Basically I know I can't change the sound, but I can change the performance, if that makes any sense, so I can have something a little more interesting to listen to.

However if there were some drivers that I could do a drop in replacement for, with a new x-over, I'd be willing to concider that too, but after building my new gigantic (over 200L each), boxes, I am sick of much woodworking.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.