Fixing the R30 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2005, 06:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fixing the R30

I bought some Polk R30's when they were onsale heavily at CC (150 dollars for the pair). Unfortunatly, they are the system I listen to 90% of the time, since my big speakers can't fit in my little apartment. I think that I could get some better performance out of them if I upgrade them a little bit.

First, the Polk R30 is a 2 way design consisting of a 6.5" woofer, .75" tweeter, and 2 inch (could be a bit more), port.

I checked out the x-over and it appears to be a second order, other than that, I don't know the x-over points, however it was made with cheap components, and very small gauge wire inductors, which I am sure rob performace (they were 18 or smaller gauge).

I have never designed an x-over before, but I thought this would be a great place to start because these speakers are relativly cheap. I was thinking I could measure the theile small parameters of them, and then design an xover for them (I was thinking 4th order L-R arrangement since it's phase is shifted 360 degrees), and a zobel, could really get some more performance out of them.

Any other mods I should concider. They have no foam or damping of any sort in them that I could see.
Old 18th April 2005, 07:53 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Are you against using an EQ?

Other than that, it's still going to sound like a Polk. Not to say anythings wrong with that but you're not happy now and neither was I. Mine are now being used for the rear channels of my HT.

Cal
Old 18th April 2005, 09:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well, I am not going to be using an EQ, but I just thought that I could suck some more performance out of them instead of buying/building a whole new system.

Basically I know I can't change the sound, but I can change the performance, if that makes any sense, so I can have something a little more interesting to listen to.

However if there were some drivers that I could do a drop in replacement for, with a new x-over, I'd be willing to concider that too, but after building my new gigantic (over 200L each), boxes, I am sick of much woodworking.
Old 16th May 2010, 06:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I just ran across a pair of these at the local pawn emporium for $75. I'm curious what you did with yours and what your results were. I need another pair of speakers like a hole in the head, but its still a temptation when I come across a bargain.

Hide this!Advertise here!