Ferrofluid & power handling

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well not exactly a true % but maybe more informative then im thinking. Seas tweeters now come (well a few models do) with and without ferro, these tweeters looks pretty much exactly the same appart from the ferro.

The non ferro unit will handle 55watts and the ferro one 90.

But in the excel line up the non ferro excel tweeter handles just the same power as the one with ferro.

DcibeL said:
For a datasheet comparison, maybe look at the Peerless 811815 (non-ferro) compared to the 811827 (ferro). As far as I know those drivers are exactly the same besides the ferro fluid.
On the 811827 page: "The magnetic oil in the airgap adds viscous damping to the system and increases the power handling".

This is quite interesting to think about. One would think having fluild to use friction to dampen a coil movement would create some "sound" that will have adverse quality unless you normally play them loud enough that it doesn't matter. For low level listening, probably the non-ferro ones would be better?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
DcibeL said:
That's what I have been told. I've never been able to do a side by side comparison of a ferrofluid and non-ferrofluid version of the same driver to be able to judge for myself though.

Without FF you often end up with a tweeter that is much harder to XO, so you may have trouble accessing the extra detail (claimed) available with a T without.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.