COMPUTER speaker systems pics & description

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I thought about posting this in the "Systems.." thread above, but after seeing someone's (office) DIY speaker pics on another site, I thought, everyone here obviously uses a computer ;) and is probably a hopeless tweaker:D -just like me. So why not post a pic of the computer speakers (hopefully DIY) that you may be listening to right now (as I am) when you surf. So here goes...
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ajinf...=&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
A JBL ESC300 sub powers a pair of JBL P-422 Open Baffle (Of course) sats. The precise shape of the baffles are a result of thousands of hours of supercomputer simultations :devilr: .
(Or a couple hrs with TrueRTA on my laptop and a tape measure to see how much room I had on either side of my monitor).
To my (admittedly rose tinted) ears, they sound light years ahead of the Logitech Z2200's they replaced. the TB drivers are OK, but the JBL's sound like real HiFi. I was shocked to see how smoothly these (relatively) inexpensive car units measured both on and off axis. they will play plenty loud sitting only 3 ft away, and have the same type of "sound coming from the stage rather than pinpointed at the speakers" type as my Orions. Definately not as refined, bur suprisingly (to me) good.
DIY madness taken to it's next (logical) step:D :D :D

Cheers,

AJ

Another hopeless tweaker. DIY madness taken to an illogical step ;). The Thing never gets more than a meter away from the desk, as it lives in a symbiotic relationship with the computer, as does it's owner.
Movie trailers from www.apple.com/trailers/ can be particularly stirring.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Wow

I figured I'd see some crazy stuff, but what is that thing? It looks like you converted a file cabinet into your bass/mid box. Is the handle on the back functional, or just a guide for the wires? And I thought I was bad with my dipole/OB sats - those look like some serious full rangers for surfin' !
C'mon guys (and gals) - this is a DIY board - there's NO WAY more of you haven't fiddled with your computer speakers. You probably wouldn't be viewing this if you were not at least tempted to DIY some speakers for your computer - which you're on right now! Let's see em!!

AJ:D :D

Attachments

• computer speakers 003.jpg
    computer speakers 003.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 648
sub

Computer sub 2 6.5" drivers, changable port, 31, 36, 45Hz. In hindsite i would have made the port external and made a larger cut out for it so I could use larger port area and longer port. 1cuft including port if i remember correctly. speakers were $2.25 cdn each at princess auto so the sub cost me like $15 built:D I painted the inside with metallic paint to hopefully make it sheilded somewhat, I dont think it made much of a difference, I think they use aluminium in it anyhow:xeye:

Attachments

• feb13^81.jpg
    feb13^81.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 338
4ohm single voice coil drivers and dynamat used for port seal.
31Hz may not give as flat of response but I like the low end so that ones always in use in house. I think its too close to the back of the box so under actual power port noise would be apparent.
Very impressive in car interior with 351M(350W rms at 2ohm 2003 RF power amp) with the 36Hz port not using amp near potiental obviously.
for speakers I have tenativly chosen
midrange
Dayton tweet
when finances allow. in a sealed box i only had 4" drivers going flat to 150Hz:mad: So I guess Ill have to maybe look at a 3way but I dont really want that. My monitors still a CRT so sheilded drivers limits my options.

Attachments

• mar05130.jpg
    mar05130.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 314
By themselves, the bass is almost non-existant, but used with a a sub there is simply no comparison to a box - they sound much better. My JBL sub that powers them XO's @ about 200hz or so. This is some localization. But too distracting, because it's right at the desk. Of course you must have some room behind the speakers. Mine are about a foot (1/3m) from the wall which is acoustically treated. Try it out, I think you might be quite suprised. Just make sure your monitor isn't a CRT!

Cheers,

AJ ;)

My computer speakers are stock (for now ) Optimus Pro 7AV's. The subwoofer is another matter ;) .
My unused HT sub is too big and most sub/sat subs are lacking...
I originally had the HT sub plate amp powering a 6 1/2" Dayton Classic in a small ported box. The port size needed for this set-up was less than optimal and made nasty noises when turned up.
Then P.E. came out with a inexpensive 8" passive radiator and :idea: !
Sure there are big tube subs, but nobody has built a small one with a PR.
Introducing the "Bitty-Boom".

Placement on the floor, against the wall is key here. Testing with several bass head CD's reveals strong output easily into the low 40's, no additional mass on the PR or tuning needed. Oh yeah, about $40 for wood, tube, terminal & drivers.

http://nate-diggidy.smugmug.com/gallery/528207/1

url]

TheSlimMan your link didnt work but the image did. Theres one sub currently on the market thats a 8" passive with a 5.25? behind it. I seen it in a review can't remember which one though:( I've got a blown 8" and was thinking of doing a passive instead of the port but I dont think ill ever get around to it. Ive got a blown 12" Phoniex gold though that might eventually see that duty.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.