multiple room system on the cheap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys taking a stab at doing a multiple room install for my parents, but they don't want to spend too much. My moms first thought of course was why don't we get a bose system :xeye:
"Nah ma, I'll come up with something." So basically what I"m looking for is something to "one up" bose as far as sound quality goes. I don't have a specific budget yet, but in the ball park of $500 dollars for drivers and an amp would be nice if this is at all possible. With this kind of a budget full range speakers with no x-over is a must I'd assume. Probably going to be looking at somewhere around 16 drivers needed. Nothing extremely elaborate, and I realize that low bass extension will be nonexistent. Also the enclosures have to be on the small side, I"m thinking of mounting them in the ceiling corners of each room. 2 per room. I'm looking for drivers first of all, then I'll go about searching for an amp, or use one that I already have. I'm assuming with 16 speakers it won't be hard to get the correct ohm load for an amp. Anyone with experience doing this sort of install please comment with suggestions. Thanks guys.

was it the 4 inch speaker from aura you guys were looking at or the 3 inch? The 3 inch looks very impressive. I'm not sure the 4 inch will extend as high as I would like it to. I'm also concerned with the low effeciency of the speakers. Would a pair of them be enough to fill a larger room (say 18x30) with at least a listenable level of music?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
bser said:
was it the 4 inch speaker from aura you guys were looking at or the 3 inch? The 3 inch looks very impressive. I'm not sure the 4 inch will extend as high as I would like it to. I'm also concerned with the low effeciency of the speakers. Would a pair of them be enough to fill a larger room (say 18x30) with at least a listenable level of music?

the 3" unit... there is no getting around low efficiency in a small speaker if it is going to have any bass....

dave

do you suppose with the greater excursion and power handling that the 193 will be able to put out more sound across the whole range than the 194, or will the low sensitivity prohibit that? It won't need to play loud but the rooms it will be filling will be large, and it need to be at least audible :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
bser said:
do you suppose with the greater excursion and power handling that the 193 will be able to put out more sound across the whole range than the 194, or will the low sensitivity prohibit that? It won't need to play loud but the rooms it will be filling will be large, and it need to be at least audible :)

You would be surprised at how low a level we usually listen too... they will probably be fine.

the 193 becomes excursion limited at about 125 Hz, i expect the 194 wouldn't give much below 200. And these have some of the best bottom of the lot.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
bser said:
well thanks for your help man, looks like I'll be ordering some 193's and checking them out, let ya know what I think. Has there already been a project done with a sealed box that perhaps you can refer me to? Thanks again

Not yet... Bart/Illusus is getting 4 drivers to experiment with (2-3 litres gross internal volume looks about right).

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.