8" woofer with 4" VC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2005, 02:26 PM   #1
AJinFLA is offline AJinFLA  United States
Banned

Default 8" woofer with 4" VC

Other than the Hi-Vi D8 series (.8, +,G) does anyone know of a 8 inch (220mm) woofer that use's a 4" (100mm) voice coil? I know that companies like Dynaudio favored large VC's, but are no longer available for the DIY market. Morel has a 3" VC 8 incher but I need 4" (or larger). Has anyone used any of the Hi-Vi models, specifically the D8G?

AJ
Old 16th April 2005, 02:44 PM   #2
Banned

Default Re: 8" woofer with 4" VC

This is a very interesting 10" with a 4" coil for 65.00 at steelsound.com . Look at the sensitivity and QTS.

Probably will need a sub below 40 cycles otherwise at this high of sensitivity(motor strength low mms) it has the making of a low compression two way - maybe mate it with big ribbon or large Heils.

Click the image to open in full size.Madison 10" Executioner- look under products raw speakers

Quote:
Originally posted by AJinFLA
Other than the Hi-Vi D8 series (.8, +,G) does anyone know of a 8 inch (220mm) woofer that use's a 4" (100mm) voice coil? I know that companies like Dynaudio favored large VC's, but are no longer available for the DIY market. Morel has a 3" VC 8 incher but I need 4" (or larger). Has anyone used any of the Hi-Vi models, specifically the D8G?

AJ
Old 16th April 2005, 03:48 PM   #3
Banned

Thanks Magnetar, I was doing a lot of searches amongst the HiFi "home" manufacturers without considering a "Pro Audio" type driver. Thats definately an interesting driver, especially for what I need, but other than the basic specs on their site (Madison), I could find no FR graphs, etc. I've never heard of that company before, are you familiar with the quality of their products?
Old 16th April 2005, 04:16 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Thanks Magnetar, I was doing a lot of searches amongst the HiFi "home" manufacturers without considering a "Pro Audio" type driver. Thats definately an interesting driver, especially for what I need, but other than the basic specs on their site (Madison), I could find no FR graphs, etc. I've never heard of that company before, are you familiar with the quality of their products?
I have some of the drivers being shipped to me right now. They are made in China hence the low pricing -

I have seen various good postings on Madison on other BB's.

You'll find some real sleepers among pro drivers. A large diameter coil is more of a norm than in hifi drivers.

I'll try and update this thread once I get them in some suitable enclosures. Also have some of the other higher QTS 8's and 10's coming from them to try on open baffles for 120 to 1.5K range in a three way.
Old 16th April 2005, 05:03 PM   #5
Banned

Thats precisely what I'll be using them for! OB 100~180 - 1k. I would rather use an 8" than a 10" to avoid breakup modes as the freq's increase relative to the dia. of the cone, but a 10" might not be too[I] bad. I'll be watching for your post's.

AJ
Old 17th April 2005, 12:08 AM   #6
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: 8" woofer with 4" VC

Quote:
but I need 4" (or larger).
4" VC on an 8"?

Pray tell.

Cal
Old 17th April 2005, 01:10 AM   #7
Banned

Default Pray tell

So that I can remove the dust cap and mount a 4" waveguide loaded tweeter (non-compression, shielded) IN the throat, atop the pole. The D8G, with it's "undercut" pole, shallow profile cone, vented magnet,higher QTS, etc. look's like the best candidate so far. I'll probably have to buy the driver and remove the cap to see exactly how much room I have, since I doubt anyone here could tell me that.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/297-425.pdf
+
http://www.d-s-t.com/scs/index.htm
D2904/7100-01
the waveguide/horn should help with the boundary effects, plus load the tweeters low end output enough to XO (steeply - 8th order +) at 1k. I'll curve the edge's of the assembly - like a phase plug - coming out of the cone.
We'll see.

AJ
Old 17th April 2005, 06:43 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Keep in mind that as soon as you remove the dustcap, the radiating area will decrease & the Fs will go up (as will nominal efficiency)

dave
Old 17th April 2005, 02:18 PM   #9
meil is offline meil  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Try Audiotechnology

http://www.audiotechnology.dk/iz.asp?id=4|a|142|||
Old 17th April 2005, 03:46 PM   #10
Banned

Default Audiotechnology?

I could not find anything on their site that had a VC larger than 77mm (3in) - and that was a larger driver. Am I missing something?

Hide this!Advertise here!