8" woofer with 4" VC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Other than the Hi-Vi D8 series (.8, +,G) does anyone know of a 8 inch (220mm) woofer that use's a 4" (100mm) voice coil? I know that companies like Dynaudio favored large VC's, but are no longer available for the DIY market. Morel has a 3" VC 8 incher but I need 4" (or larger). Has anyone used any of the Hi-Vi models, specifically the D8G?

AJ

This is a very interesting 10" with a 4" coil for 65.00 at steelsound.com . Look at the sensitivity and QTS.

:D

Probably will need a sub below 40 cycles otherwise at this high of sensitivity(motor strength low mms) it has the making of a low compression two way - maybe mate it with big ribbon or large Heils.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Madison 10" Executioner- look under products raw speakers

AJinFLA said:
Other than the Hi-Vi D8 series (.8, +,G) does anyone know of a 8 inch (220mm) woofer that use's a 4" (100mm) voice coil? I know that companies like Dynaudio favored large VC's, but are no longer available for the DIY market. Morel has a 3" VC 8 incher but I need 4" (or larger). Has anyone used any of the Hi-Vi models, specifically the D8G?

AJ

Thanks Magnetar, I was doing a lot of searches amongst the HiFi "home" manufacturers without considering a "Pro Audio" type driver. Thats definately an interesting driver, especially for what I need, but other than the basic specs on their site (Madison), I could find no FR graphs, etc. I've never heard of that company before, are you familiar with the quality of their products?

AJinFLA said:
Thanks Magnetar, I was doing a lot of searches amongst the HiFi "home" manufacturers without considering a "Pro Audio" type driver. Thats definately an interesting driver, especially for what I need, but other than the basic specs on their site (Madison), I could find no FR graphs, etc. I've never heard of that company before, are you familiar with the quality of their products?

I have some of the drivers being shipped to me right now. They are made in China hence the low pricing - :whazzat:

I have seen various good postings on Madison on other BB's.

You'll find some real sleepers among pro drivers. A large diameter coil is more of a norm than in hifi drivers.

I'll try and update this thread once I get them in some suitable enclosures. Also have some of the other higher QTS 8's and 10's coming from them to try on open baffles for 120 to 1.5K range in a three way.

Pray tell

So that I can remove the dust cap and mount a 4" waveguide loaded tweeter (non-compression, shielded) IN the throat, atop the pole. The D8G, with it's "undercut" pole, shallow profile cone, vented magnet,higher QTS, etc. look's like the best candidate so far. I'll probably have to buy the driver and remove the cap to see exactly how much room I have, since I doubt anyone here could tell me that.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/297-425.pdf
+
http://www.d-s-t.com/scs/index.htm
D2904/7100-01
the waveguide/horn should help with the boundary effects, plus load the tweeters low end output enough to XO (steeply - 8th order +) at 1k. I'll curve the edge's of the assembly - like a phase plug - coming out of the cone.
We'll see.

AJ

Gotcha! I type as fast as paint drying myself. Upscale Dynaudio:eek: - oh my! Perhaps I'll stick with the Hi-Vi to experiment (the're not exactly giving those away at $90 US ea.), then take the hammer to the piggybank for the Audiotech Flex units upon final design. They do look tasty.:drool:
Thank you sooo much guys, this board is a godsend:up:
I'll run with the ideas given here. I'll try to post updates when possible. This project will take a while (like all my others), but hopefully will be complete before the sun turns red.:D

Cheers,

AJ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.