What would you like to see in a driver group buy? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2005, 08:40 AM   #1
Aegeon is offline Aegeon  United States
diyAudio Member

Default What would you like to see in a driver group buy?

If you could pick the drivers for a group buy, what would you want? I started a thread in the Group Buy forum for Vifa XT25TG30-04's, which I've wanted to experiment with, but I'd be willing to organize other buys for different drivers if there is enough interest (only need a 10 pair order to get a significant discount)...

If there's enough interest in a particular driver, I can get specifics together and start a thread in the Group Buys forum.. For now, I'm just trying to gauge interest.

Let me know, thanks...
Matt
Old 17th April 2005, 07:51 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Jordan JX92S. I would probably buy 7.
Old 17th April 2005, 11:55 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

seas l18
Old 18th April 2005, 08:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately, I cant get Jordans at all... I can get Seas drivers, but not the L18 (I can, but I cant get a discount significant enough to justify a group buy (only $2-$3 under what Madisound sells them for).

Other Seas models are better deals, like the Excel line. Here's an example:

Seas Excel W18E-001 7" Magnesium Cone woofer. Group buy price would be $123.00 each. Madisound retails them for $151.35 each, so a group buy price would be about 19% below retail.

If people are interested, I can keep finding quotes. I can arrange orders for Seas, Peerless, Scan-Speak, Vifa and Morel. Usually the minimum order is 20 units (10 pairs).
Old 19th April 2005, 01:56 AM   #5
tktran is offline tktran  Australia
Account Disabled

Aegeon,

How do you plan to distribute these?

I think the biggest discounts to be had are the uber price SS Revelators, Excels etc, especially those that don't cost much to ship and distribute (tweeters, 4-5" mids)

Is this group order limited to Americans? I'd be interested in a pair of Milleniums, or the W18-E001.
Old 19th April 2005, 05:53 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

So far there is no group buy in progress, I'm just seeing if there is enough interest to justify one (or a few). If it seems enough people are interested, I'll start a thread in the Group Buy forum to actually run the group buy.

Within the U.S., I can ship these out via UPS or FedEx (UPS is easier for me, have a UPS store a block away). I'm not opposed to shipping internationally, but I have no experience with customs, tariffs, duties, etc.... I'll check if there's enough interest.

I could get Seas Millenium tweets (T25CF-002) for $130.00 each. Minimum order would be 20 units (10 pairs) They retail at Madisound for $159.00 each, and at Zalytron for $155.30.
Old 19th April 2005, 06:09 AM   #7
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

How about the Seas Coax:

T18RE COAX/TVFC

There has been some interest in it,

thanks
Old 19th April 2005, 03:32 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Looks like there's not enough benefit to run a group buy for the Seas Coax driver. They retail for $115.00 each, the group buy price would be $109.00 each. I dont think enough people would be willing to wait a few weeks for a group buy to happen to save $6.00... let me know if I'm wrong.
Old 19th April 2005, 08:48 PM   #9
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

I guess its as you said: it is the premium models that seem to have the best discounts. One good use for the coax's is for home theater, so I thought it might generate orders of 5 or 6 units at a time. Also it might trigger a group of people to actually start their projects.

I agree that the discount is probably too small, but possibly some people would be interested in saving some money on 5 drivers- after all its some savings!

How long would it take you to get say 20 of those drivers to then mail out?
Old 19th April 2005, 08:58 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

My $0.02 is that you are likely to get the best reponse where there is substantial savings. Just look at the popularity of the Cardas GB. Pricey stuff, but what a discount!
So, for a lot of people, that means drivers that maybe are difficult to get at a decent price. Seas is actually cheaper to buy in Europe than NA. I know I stopped ordering from Parts Express because they kill you on shipping. So I think if you suggested drivers such as Adire or Dayton you would get a good response from overseas.

Hide this!Advertise here!