What would you like to see in a driver group buy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Variac said:
Paradise ice:

Doesn't KEF have a coaxial tweet/ mid driver?
Can you get that?

Yes Kef has the Uni-Q which they wont give even too me:whazzat:

I can get anything you like from their range barring the Uni Q units and tweeters, I can also get some Tannoy units, also not the DC units, i understand why but we are no really the type of people to start selling them on and make money.

Al,

Here's the numbers I have if we did group buys for the items you mentioned (all prices are each, not per pair):

Seas Millenium Tweets (T25CF-002): Retail $159, GB Price $130

Seas Excel W18EX001: Retail $159, GB Price $127

Peerless XXLS 830842: Retail $132, GB Price $111

Peerless XXLS PR 830548: Retail $82, GB Price $73.

For any of these units, we'd need a minimum of 20 units (10 pairs).

I'm also looking into the Neo8. I'll post whatever I find out. Do you guys think there would be enough interest to put an order together of 100+ units? 200? I've gotten quotes for 50 and 100 from one supplier, but the price is not nearly as low as we want it. I'm calling around...

Matt

I spent some time calling about the Neo8s this morning. I spoke with Bohlender Graebener's distributors, and the company itself. For orders over 300 units, you can order direct from the factory. Less than that, you have to go to a distributor. Here's the price schedule, straight from B-G.

20-49 units: $57.05 ea
50-99 units: $53.05 ea
100-299 units: $46.57 ea
300-999 units: $41.70 ea
1000+ units: negotiable

These prices are straight from B-G's corporate office, so I'm not sure where ScottG got that $13 figure. Maybe they've gotten popular, so they've raised prices?

In any case, $41.70 is higher than what's been mentioned in the thread so far, but still a good deal over the normal $62.68 price tag. Assuming you bought 16 for a set of line arrays (at parts express' $58.30 price for 4+), you'd save about $265 through a group buy (again, assuming we got 300 units).

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Aegeon said:
I spent some time calling about the Neo8s this morning. I spoke with Bohlender Graebener's distributors, and the company itself. For orders over 300 units, you can order direct from the factory. Less than that, you have to go to a distributor. Here's the price schedule, straight from B-G.

20-49 units: $57.05 ea
50-99 units: $53.05 ea
100-299 units: $46.57 ea
300-999 units: $41.70 ea
1000+ units: negotiable

These prices are straight from B-G's corporate office, so I'm not sure where ScottG got that $13 figure. Maybe they've gotten popular, so they've raised prices?

In any case, $41.70 is higher than what's been mentioned in the thread so far, but still a good deal over the normal $62.68 price tag. Assuming you bought 16 for a set of line arrays (at parts express' $58.30 price for 4+), you'd save about $265 through a group buy (again, assuming we got 300 units).

Anyway, let me know what you think.

That was off of the now defunct BG forum (some time back). From what I gather this was straight from the factory in the Philippines (not from BG itself which is in effect only a distributor - rather like Infinity was with the circular emit tweeter). I'll try and look through my cd roms to see if I burned that post onto one (it might have more detail, and I could be wrong..).

HA! ..(I actually found it!)

"In Reply to: Re: BG and Radia Drivers <45339.html> posted by Chris Bolkan on February 18, 2003 at 16:10:02:
The Neo 8 is a Daiichi product out of Manila. The price is $10ea FOB Manila for 500pcs or more. Why you would want it is beyond me.
The RD 50 and 75 are domestic products of BG Corp made in Carson City NV.
The progenitor of the Neo 8 design, David Graebener (no longer associated with BG Corp) came to my CES booth and agreed with my low opinion of the Neo 8, a singularly unsucessful design.
If you use it in its linear range of 1500Hz to 15 kHz it's fine, however. But that's tweeter territory, and a 2" wide tweeter like the Neo 8 beams above 6 kHz.
Big B"

So going through BG itself would be the WRONG thing to do..

hmm, considering the bulk of the driver itself and its weight (at this price for a large quantity) it would seem to be an ideal canidate for cryo (..to wring a bit more performance from it)

Thanks for the info, ScottG... I found the original threads you refer to here and here

It appears this comment came about in 2001 during a dispute between BG and Brian Cheney of VMPS audio. BG disputes that the Neo8 is available at that price here .

The units are made for us by Dai-1chi in the Philippines as an ISO 9000 supplier – a requirement of many of our OEM customers. However, it is done on a contract basis for us. Mr. Cheney cannot buy it directly from them for $10.00 each or $15.00 each (depending on post). Nobody but us can buy it from them for any price.

Please dont think I'm trying to be argumentative or anything, I just find this very interesting... I think I'll try to look up Daichi (or Daiichi?)

it is interesting - I had not seen that thread b4 and indeed the RE-post I provided was from Brian Cheney.

the second link didn't come up for me..

notice the dates however between what I re-posted and the links.

also note that manufacturers in other countries may be a bit more "liberal" with their contractual agreements (or may have an "out" which allows them to sell direct in certain instances that the reseller/distributor/etc. would firmly deny).

Hope someone would consider coming up with Jordan JX92s
GP.

This particular driver is always favoured as a high end project for Home Theater surrounding speakers 5.1 / 7.1 if priced right.

I'm sure the volume would be good for a price bargain.

Apart fr Loudspeaker drivers, has there ever been GP
for exotic XO components before? eg. Sowther Trafo Attenuator (for dome/Ribbons padding), V-CAP, Mundorf Supreme oil, etc
would be damn nice to try

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.