DIY speakers cables with several non-insulated cores

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I consider using 0.5mm (app. 24 AWG)) non-insulated solid core silver wire for DIY speaker cables.

However, since the 0.5 mm (24 AWG) is rather thin - even when I only intent to use them for the mid high section – I consider combining 3 cores for + and 3 cores for – for each channel.

Now to the question:
I will try to keep the cores as close as possible and solder them together at each end, but it will be difficult to avoid that one of the cores will “let go” of the the other cores at some time. Will it cause problems if the 3 cores are not all in touch at all times along the cable?

Thanks!

Regards
Peter

pk said:
Hi,

I consider using 0.5mm (app. 24 AWG)) non-insulated solid core silver wire for DIY speaker cables.

Unless you have ~50W running through the wire, I'd try it single core first, to get an idea.

Using uninsulted wire is a HUGE hassle, I've tried it (you can't listen, you're always worrying that a ghost will pass by and short the wires!). See if you can't get the wire with some insulation (enamel maybe?) -- otherwise thread it through some (teflon) tubing to be on the peace-of-mind /safe side. Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.