Peerless 10" CSX - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2005, 10:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Peerless 10" CSX

I've got a pair of 850146's running in 50L boxes I had lying around; they sound pretty good but need lots of low end eq
- I think they're crying out to be ported, but when I do a sim on boxplot, it doesn't seem that porting a 50L cab will add much more low end.
I've seen recommendations here from 65L up. Until I get around to building 100L monster cabs, should I port these ones?

(Fs 22.6, Qms 2.56; Qes .4, Qts .35, Re 5.5, Vas 144.4, Sd 330cm^2) (Xover at 250Hz passive, will eventually be active, no WAF to consider :-)

Any opinions/experiences welcome.
Pete McK
Old 12th April 2005, 12:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Interesting - I have use these drivers both ported and sealed and didnt really notice any lack in extension when I went sealed. Those drivers are about 12dB down at 20hz and after you have factored in room gain, this is more like 9-6dB. What are you using these for? HT or music.

If HT then yeah I can see you lacking extension but for music I find that hard to believe. What kind of EQ are you applying now?
Old 12th April 2005, 11:37 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi 5th Element,
I'm using them for music, (not all well recorded though),
on some things I wind up the bass controls on my Luxman + the loudness to get the drums really happening, I know that's over the top, but these guys don't seem to do it as easily as the sealed 8" speakers they replaced, which were probably more suited to this treatment due to lower Vas. The Peerless are obviously capable of great things, maybe i need to break them in,
I'm just being impatient 'cause it's going to be a while till I get around to building large ported cabs for them.
(Perhaps it's just because they're more accurate & i'm not used to it !!!???)
How are you using them now, and what size cabs?
cheers,
Pete McK
Old 12th April 2005, 01:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteMcK

I'm using them for music, (not all well recorded though),
on some things I wind up the bass controls on my Luxman + the loudness to get the drums really happening, I know that's over the top, but these guys don't seem to do it as easily as the sealed 8" speakers they replaced, which were probably more suited to this treatment due to lower Vas. The Peerless are obviously capable of great things, maybe i need to break them in,
I'm just being impatient 'cause it's going to be a while till I get around to building large ported cabs for them.
(Perhaps it's just because they're more accurate & i'm not used to it !!!???)
How are you using them now, and what size cabs?
cheers,
Pete McK
What was the 8" you had before? Could it be that the 8" were fairly high Q, and you are just getting used to "tighter" bass? I think some electronic music sounds pretty bad with out the added "warmth" of high Q bass. Not really the speakers fault. How does it sound with aucostic music?
Joe
Old 12th April 2005, 01:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Mine are actually on a shelf at the moment, I replaced then with peerless XLS drivers and now use those open baffle.

The change from ported to sealed did change the presentation of the bass though. I lost some boomfy or boomy quality, this did feel like I had been robbed of something, but it wasnt a loss of extension it was just a change in the way the bass was played.

Yes by all means let them run in, this could have a surprising effect on the sound but I wouldnt hold your breath.

As you are needing to apply the loudness and use bass tone controls this really does show that your not lacking extension but simply prefer another presentation of the music. Whos to say whats correct with regards to accuracy. If you dont enjoy listening to the accurate sound then youve missed the point of music, FUN! If you like to crank up the bass to make the music fun then do it, theres certainly nothing wrong with it.

Hide this!Advertise here!