Leak Sandwich

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anybody know anything about the Leak Sandwich speakers, in particular the bass drivers? I have the opportunity to buy a pair for £20 and wondered if they are worth keeping as they are, or possibly if the 15" sandwiched woofers could be re-housed. They seem to be in good working condition.

edit: here's a pic -

Attachments

• ls.jpg
    ls.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,029
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Alnico or ceramic ones?

£20 seems about right for a good working pair of ceramics, a bargin for the alnicos (the little mid-tweeters will fetch at least the £20 asking on eBay)

I haven't seen many vintage boxes worth keeping around, the Leaks thou are pretty good....

Mind you i've only seen 12" ones (and seemingly always 1 alnico & 1 ceramic in a pair). The mid-tweeter deserves a better box if you are going to go ahead and use them.
'
dave

Thanks Dave. Did Leak do alnico and ceramic versions of the Sandwich then? If you have any idea of the driver parameters it might give me an idea of what to do with them (a search on the net hasn't revealed much detailed info). From what you say though it seems like they might be worth getting anyway.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
bob_v5 said:
how do you know which are the alnicos? I was given a pair of these and use them everyday so i dont really care, but it would be nice to know!

Alnicos have soup can shaped magnets, ceramic ones are pancake -- the woofers have square magnets, i can't remember whether the mid-tweeters are round. Since the mid-tweeter comes out with the grills that is easiest to check

dave

picture of alnico mid-tweeter

Attachments

• leak-sta.jpg
    leak-sta.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 470
I have just been repairing a pair.
The bass speakers are definity worth getting, regardless of magnet. Just be aware that the cone "break up" is fairly low so a good crossover is required.
Unlike Dave, I am not so shook on the mid/tweeter. Leak made a number of diferent types for use with the bass driver, initially paper, then stressed foam/al sandwich, then a unit common with Wharfedale that had holes punched in the cone.
The sandwich version I know, and it is quite good, but rolls off quite badly at the top end, so Leak in their later models added a dome tweeter to make a three way.
The construction of the mid/tweeter is particularly nice, with the front assembly including cone and suspension bayoneting onto the magnet.
Leak also made an oval roughly 6x8 sandwich bass unit for their bookshelf speakers. I have one and would like another if anyone has one lying about.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.